Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last April I purchased my first Harley a 2014 Dyna Switchback.
And I love it (7000 miles the first year and I live in the northeast).
My question is after I take it out of hibernation ( Stabilizer and trickle charger in place). Is there anything else I need to do before getting it up and running.
I am heading down to Myrtle Beach bike week first week in May but we are trailering our bikes.
Thanks
dant52

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Out of Hibernation

Last April I purchased my first Harley a 2014 Dyna Switchback.
And I love it (7000 miles the first year and I live in the northeast).
My question is after I take it out of hibernation ( Stabilizer and trickle charger in place). Is there anything else I need to do before getting it up and running.
I am heading down to Myrtle Beach bike week first week in May but we are trailering our bikes.
Thanks
dant52

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Check tires, tire pressure, oil change, look over all bolts and wire connections, including battery. Check belt tension and primary chain tension with the primary oil change. Have fun in Myrtle Beach. Pictures please

·
Registered
257 Posts
IMHO, I would check and or change fluids depending on when last completed, check air pressure in tires and shocks, if equipped and lubricate what is needed. Run the fuel out of the tank to get rid of old gas and also to get re-acquainted with your bike. Fill her with fresh gas and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
As above, but just in case....take bike out for a fairly good run before loading for MB. I've heard too many people start bike, change fluids , tires, etc. then get 500 miles away and somethings screwed. A good test ride just makes sense, after sitting all winter.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
My '13 RG had the 15K service less than 30 days before I filled the tank with gas & Seafoam, put her on the Sears yellow jack, plugged in tender, covered her up and kissed her goodnight--that was about the last day or so in October. There was a spell in early or mid January that I was able to get her out for 2 afternoons then back in storage. When the weather breaks I'm going to unpack her, air up the tires and ride. She was good to go before I packed her away and I don't think any nuts or bolts loosened up or anything else got out of whack just sitting so she should still be good to go after checking tire pressures. But.... I will only get an afternoon or two of riding before I give her a thorough cleaning and of course will examine everything very closely then.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Check tire pressure and follow the maintenance schedule. Have fun. I would give it good cleaning otherwise. My bike got a good scrubbing before winter. I took my makeshift cover off over the weekend, and see that it needs another good dusting.

As soon as my cleaning supplies thaw out I plan to do so

·
Señor Member
19,867 Posts
Air pressure. Check tires for dry rot. Make sure all lamps work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with all of the above. The one good thing is that I have a walkout basement and was able to keep the bike as snug as a bug in a rug in the basement where its heated.
I will take her for a good ride prior to May. Unless it keeps snowing which it never seems to stop doing.
Thanks
dant52

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Sounds like a great trip ,,, enjoy! I'm seriously jealous, this weather has got to go away. I know it's been said before ,, But tire pressure is my personal nemesis. I just tend to forget how important that is - all the time - not just after winter storage. Maybe if I say it enough I'll get it through my own dense skull.:bikerguy:

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
When any machine is in storage, something that can be active, even during a period of immobility are the effects of corrosion and oxidation. I would think this would especially be true in areas where salt residue could exacerbate this issue. As stated earlier, a thorough light check should be done, and all switches should be operated several times to rub off any "cooties" from the contact points. Give yourself plenty of room to check your brakes the first couple of times to make sure they stop and release properly.

I imagine that you gave her a good wash and wax before putting her to bed, so with her being stored in a heated basement, you shouldn't have any oxidation issues.

Get her out and stretch her legs!

--

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Check your shifter linkage(I have a sore spot for this). Make sure nothing is loose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.