Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Toolman44092
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many on here have installed aftermarket radios in place of their HK units? I'm interested in hearing what you did and how you hooked it up. I know there are some companies making install kits that allow you to use the factory handlebar controls on the aftermarket radios. I'm looking to go to an aftermarket radio that is XM capable and will allow me to use the factory controls.

I'd love to see pics if you have them and if not, a description of what you did along with total cost. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi,i am nikos from greece and i own an flht 2003.i have on my bike a kenwood cd,radio unit.i like it because i can use an mp3 cd or wma.also there are units that they have a usb input so you can use it for listening music from a memory stick.also i have install an amp on my bike and speakers kenwood also and i have more better sound stan every bike i know here.i will try to send you pics.i am looking to find something to use the factory controls also,but it is ok as it is if i will not find it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive looked into this a bit....Sony Makes some head units that plug into your factory harness so all your handle bar controls still work.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
i like to use the pioneer units myself. i figured out the hardwire control resistance and hardwire the handlebar controls. my own roadglide. pioneer cd mp3 w/ultrabright display, ipod control/ sirius radio, arc amp, and hertz hcx speakers. i use my bike for demo,'s at bike shows and people are impressed. also all of it is in the faring. no bag space used.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
hi,i am nikos from greece and i own an flht 2003.i have on my bike a kenwood cd,radio unit.i like it because i can use an mp3 cd or wma.also there are units that they have a usb input so you can use it for listening music from a memory stick.also i have install an amp on my bike and speakers kenwood also and i have more better sound stan every bike i know here.i will try to send you pics.i am looking to find something to use the factory controls also,but it is ok as it is if i will not find it.
if your kenwood has a light blue wire on the back marked "WIRED REMOTE" not remote control or ant control. you can use a part from peripheral electronics called peswaikjc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced the original Harley cassette radio and speakers in my 94 FLHTC with the Sony marine radio kit from Biketronics. Also have my Sirious radio running thru it. The kit comes with everything needed and works with the handlebar controls. I think they have kits for any year and they also have choices of radios and speakers. I really do like mine and it performs great. I installed it myself and only had to make one call and that was to find out that I had to change two fuses to get it to turn on. My kit for my bike ran about $550. Well worth it to me. My $ .05 worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts