Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for starting a well worn topic but can I get some sort of definitive from those that have maybe done this please.
Just bought a 2019 Road King 114 to be delivered next week. I want to keep the oem headers as I'm not looking to make more noise than necessary but will be replacing the restrictive slip ons.
So, firstly I'll fit a set of V&H 450 Titans and add the FuelPack3. Will the air cleaner (pictured) need replacing as its not the 2020/21 more open version or is this cleaner good enough and not restrictive.
Will I get a noticeable difference (a positive one), compared to stock configuration with the new 450 slip-on (and stock header) / open air cleaner / FP3?
I get that replacing the headers will give best performance increases, but what am I likely to achieve by doing the above with stock headers.
Many thanks guys. This big engine HD stuff is new to me.

Regards
Ron
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was told the cats are in the head pipes and removal will void the warranty. Mine is good till March 23, so Im keeping mine. Im new to M8s, mine is in a softail. I changed the OEM cans with some Cobra Neighbor haters, and let the air box alone. The computer took 20 minutes and runs like a dream. My M8 is an ole man's John Deere tractor, not into making power to go no where any more. Just easing on down the road.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ron, the m-8s have hi Flo air filters right outta the box. When I got stage 1 put on my 114, I left air alone and it has plenty o pep

·
Registered
139 Posts
FP3 isnt necessary if only changing mufflers, and that's just a personal decision to change them out. Nothing restrictive about stock...you can do mufflers and air cleaner and ECM will adjust. If and when you drop a cam in it then a tuner will be required to help the ECM adjust. I put Cobra 🐍 Pro Chamber and Neighbor Haters on mine removing the catalytic converter, so I got a tuner. Bike runs fine.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Get the S&S Stealth air cleaner assembly and put the stock cover on it. The factory airbox covers the side of the motor and increases the felt heat a bunch. Bike will run just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told the cats are in the head pipes and removal will void the warranty. Mine is good till March 23, so Im keeping mine. Im new to M8s, mine is in a softail. I changed the OEM cans with some Cobra Neighbor haters, and let the air box alone. The computer took 20 minutes and runs like a dream. My M8 is an ole man's John Deere tractor, not into making power to go no where any more. Just easing on down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FP3 isnt necessary if only changing mufflers, and that's just a personal decision to change them out. Nothing restrictive about stock...you can do mufflers and air cleaner and ECM will adjust. If and when you drop a cam in it then a tuner will be required to help the ECM adjust. I put Cobra 🐍 Pro Chamber and Neighbor Haters on mine removing the catalytic converter, so I got a tuner. Bike runs fine.
Good info thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the S&S Stealth air cleaner assembly and put the stock cover on it. The factory airbox covers the side of the motor and increases the felt heat a bunch. Bike will run just fine.
Thanks. So S&S cleaner with the cover pictured on the bike above will do it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Forgot to add, another veiwpoint, the tuner may not be necessary but since you may get it, especially for future upgrades that will require it, in the meantime, they do make the stock with aftermarket configuration setups more crisper, and i seen a bump in mileage as it will fine tune the ride regardless of configuration. make sense? So, although not absolute in need for muffs and an Air Cleaner, they do help in that regard. One thing to note and many will say it broadly, if you dont use the SE/Harley tuner, and you drop the bottom end or any major internal 'motor' issues, the warranty may be void and you will be on the hook. Odds of that happening, slim to none. The entire warranty isnt void. with only a 2 year warranty, at least for me, what difference does it make? none.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to add, another veiwpoint, the tuner may not be necessary but since you may get it, especially for future upgrades that will require it, in the meantime, they do make the stock with aftermarket configuration setups more crisper, and i seen a bump in mileage as it will fine tune the ride regardless of configuration. make sense? So, although not absolute in need for muffs and an Air Cleaner, they do help in that regard. One thing to note and many will say it broadly, if you dont use the SE/Harley tuner, and you drop the bottom end or any major internal 'motor' issues, the warranty may be void and you will be on the hook. Odds of that happening, slim to none. The entire warranty isnt void. with only a 2 year warranty, at least for me, what difference does it make? none.
More awesome info, many thanks. Based on that I think I will go with the FP3, slip ons and cleaner.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have harley screaming eagle head pipe with street cannon mufflers black shields on them real nice 200 local pickup. Came off my 2020 cvo street glide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have harley screaming eagle head pipe with street cannon mufflers black shields on them real nice 200 local pickup. Came off my 2020 cvo street glide.
Thanks, I'm not changing headers just yet, just going for slip on/air cleaner/FP3. Don't want it too loud.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks. So S&S cleaner with the cover pictured on the bike above will do it?
Yes, it will do the job up through any changes you want to make to the motor in the future

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a "14 Heritage last year with V&H slip-on's and K&N open air filter and stock header pips. 6K miles on the odometer. LOTS of decel POP and not soo good a ride (rough). Got a FP3 and called V&H for a tune to flash the ECM. Wow...Big difference and little or no decel pop. Runs like bat-out-of-Hell!. However, just a note, just bought a '20 RG with TAB Performance header pips, BAM 4.5" sticks with Zombie's baffles. Tuned with Harley tuner.....NICE! Had to remove the Zombies and install the 2.5" baffles because wife said she needed ear plugs! Watch the videos on TAB Performance and you may like what you see. RG is uncomfortable to ride but the M8-107 Stage 1 is the real deal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bought a "14 Heritage last year with V&H slip-on's and K&N open air filter and stock header pips. 6K miles on the odometer. LOTS of decel POP and not soo good a ride (rough). Got a FP3 and called V&H for a tune to flash the ECM. Wow...Big difference and little or no decel pop. Runs like bat-out-of-Hell!. However, just a note, just bought a '20 RG with TAB Performance header pips, BAM 4.5" sticks with Zombie's baffles. Tuned with Harley tuner.....NICE! Had to remove the Zombies and install the 2.5" baffles because wife said she needed ear plugs! Watch the videos on TAB Performance and you may like what you see. RG is uncomfortable to ride but the M8-107 Stage 1 is the real deal.
Road Glide is way more comfortable than any Heritage, GTFOH!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts