Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
I assume my Destroyer will be at a few of these?

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume my Destroyer will be at a few of these?
Yes sir, I hope to get to several if not all of them I'd love to be a contender in the points race next season.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I watched it recently, I hope they bring this race event to the norther east next year, supposedly they will be doing 4 events in 2021

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Getting ready for New England Dragway & AHDRA Season 2021

Placed order for race fuel five gallons of VP C25 goes for $125 now, yup 25 dollars a gallon, yikes!
Sent in my points racing forms to New England Dragway for Motorcycle-ET.
Worked out my schedule of racing dates and projected budget for the season.

Plan to do a couple weeks testing in middle April, then first competition race is 4/25, continue all spring & summer at NED, then only one race with AHDRA at Norwalk Ohio October 1, 2 & 3

If the Austria/Italy trip is scrubbed, I may go to Sturgis for AHDRA event and bring the SGS for touring the region early August.

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for C25 to arrive at my race fuel dealer.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Race fuel came in this afternoon, and lit a fire under my butt to get the rest of my punch list done:

Installed a vintage 2-Step that originally came with the Destroyer, these are hard to come by as there were only 700 made and no longer available except as take-offs from decommissioned race bikes, a buddy from 1130cc sent it to me free as he got it free as test and development model in hopes of designing a open market substitute, never got around to that and the donor never sought it back.

Started bike on U4 and old shift kill, tested the TWO STEP, works as expected though cold Idle was still wonky as I expected it is affected by the old Pingel shift/kill unit.

Installed the new shift/kill unit, that change seems to have positively improved the standing idle of the engine, note this unit is responsible for providing 12+ to the coils via the 2-step unit, having everything back to "NORMAL" hardware seems to have helped.

Did another start and she jumped up to near normal cool idle speed of 2000 RPM's unlike the previous startup where it was searching at around 1400 to 1600 RPM's.

I will keep the old units as emergency only back ups, good enough to get through a race in a pinch, but if the fresh parts start showing weakness, I'll be reordering from Pingel and Dyna as the needs occur.

Flushed the fuel tank of leftover U4 race fuel the put in 2 gallons of C25 to dilute any remnants of the U4.

Loaded a new map designed for C25 into the bikes ECM.

Ran another test fire and logged an idle session from TTS flight recorder, looked good, idle continued to be stable with the new parts and map change using the new fuel.

Changed out the air shifter bottle gauge I can read it again and it's not leaking down like it was last fall.
Aired up the tires in preparation for trailer loading Friday night. I am hoping weather gets warmer than forecast for Saturday, we expect snow squalls this Thursday into Friday, I hope that does not happen, at the latest I WILL go to the track for T&T on Sunday!

I am psyched!!

Reactions: JTJ

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sunday 4/18 Test and Tune day at New England Dragway was a success, went up late in the morning to allow as much drying and warming as possible with out losing too much time before closing hour.

All passes were in the 10's, most 60 foot short times were in the 1.5's except the first which was due to lower launch RPM, I increased that to 8000 on pass-2, 3 & 4. Reaction times were all over, couple of reds and a sleeper and one respectable 0.054.
pass-1..................................................pass-2.................. ........pass-3.................. .......pass-4

Pass-1 Video

Pass-2 Video

Pass-3 Video

No video pf pass 4

Attachments

·
Trashy Member
4,662 Posts
I miss racing so much! Never went that fast though. A friends son just put together a Chevelle that has gone 7.40 in the 1/4 mile. Stupid fast. Still has to sort it out as he hopes for high 6's.

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No races today with day long rain fall, hoping to have next weekend come out dry for a double header event both Saturday & Sunday!!

·
Noel
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spent May 1 & May 2 racing at New England Dragway, ET VP Series, I'll be doing this all summer to get my skills honed for a possible one event appearance with the AHDRA in the fall, I am #943

Saturday was cold and windy, traction was lacking for the Q1 pass: cold 52 degrees, Rt=0.030, low traction. Spun. Short=1.873 et=10.775 at 126. but got better by Q2 so I dialed a 10.30, but went red in round one eliminations, had I not gone read I would have broken out with the 10.096 ET

Sunday, it got warmer and winds were calmer, but qualifying was delayed until a late morning thunder storm front passed by, eventually got in two qualifying runs, I made several tuning adjustments as compared to Saturday, brought the shift points in line with sage advice from several good racers, lowered tire to 11 PSI, all eliminations done by 6:30 PM.

Got another 9's pass in Q1, along with third best reaction time, and also a good 60 foot got back to 1.497, would like to get to 1.3's at some point, Q2 I had effed up my burn out and over headed the clutch, while staging on the 2-step, clutch started to drag me into the beam, going red I launched at that point knowing I was never gonna improve my standing. E1, perfected my burn out preventing what happened earlier, dialed a 9.99 in hopes I would stay in the nines and gave myself a cushion to not break out, ironically, I went red 0.072 and had I not would have broke out by 4 thousandths.

Q1-------------------------------------Q2----------------------------------------E1

Stayed the rest of the day to get my ETI (Extended Technical Inspection) done, this saves a lot of time for the racers and Tech staff during the season, it's a certification that your race package is good to go the whole season, good for a year or earliest expiring equipment, since I am using an older helmet, that expires on 12/31/2021 that is when my ETI expires, but it's seldom that I travel south for winter racing, if I do some tracks might honour it so long as I substitute the newer helmet after 1/1/2022, I have a Snell rated 2015 ready to use for next year and through 2026.

Enjoyed watching the local expert racers battle it out in the finals, also watched a newbie make his first competition passes he did pretty good and got to E2 because his competition, broke and rolled off the premises before E1, so he got a bye run but was headed up against expert competition in E2 where he did not make the win.

I'm still experiencing an unusual situation of the Destroyer not wanting to fire, not sure what the culprit is, so I spent several hours Monday evening looking at all the electrical connection points on the harness, especially those that get pulled during maintenance cycles, also removed and reinstalled ECM buss connection, checked all grounds, and seemed to narrow the issue down to possibly the relays, so I pulled them all and did side by side resistance tests on the coils and they were in spec, the destroyer has 4, two black and two gray relays, system, starter, fan and service power to all the racing electronics, all seemed to be activation correctly.

I noticed that my TTS has stopped logging engine data since I swapped in the stock proprietary 2-step unit, though it's work fine as a two step, it could be the contributing factor for the periodic 'no fires' and the loss of data during FLIGHT LOGGING on the TTS Tuner Blue Box. I plan to put the DYNA-DRL box back in this evening to see if that fixes my issue with no flight log data, if it does not then maybe the TTS Blue box has memory issues, interestingly, it is still working to load and read ECM tunes, and I can do live data captures and create a log file to my laptop, but the box won't record a engine data log.

Hopefully the bikes ECM is OK, but who knows if that is part of the problem, if I have to replace it, I'll also need a new tuner, unless I can get HD to program the substitute with my bikes VIN/ENGINE number. That's a lot of money to do A/B/A swapp testing of parts, no local destroyer racers that I could borrow an ECM from either.

After 10 passes and 4 tech runs, I'm already a half a can of C25 race fuel, she is drinking a little over a quart a 1/4 mile, a completed circuit from staging to return to pits is one mile, that comes to 4 MPG at 25$ a gallon. Expensive hobby.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
Good to see my Destroyer is still doing well!

Reactions: TaxmanHog
1 - 14 of 14 Posts