Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using to clean your Air Cleaners with? I've been using K&N's cleaner for years but wonder if it's really worth all that, or is there something else out there you have found that works as good or better? Simple Green? Windex? Ammonia? Mr. Clean? Dishwasher, lol?

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
I use the same K&N cleaner.

I never considered trying a different cleaner because I wouldn't want to risk ruining the gauze or whatever it is, but has to be something that can clean oil, grease and dirt off without leaving a residue that might make re-oiling difficult or reduce airflow. I couldn't even begin to guess what would work other than air filter cleaner.

I know the instructions in my SE air cleaner kit mentioned washing the filter with "air cleaner/degreaser" and gave a part number (so wash the air cleaner with air cleaner, what?).

·
Registered
20,833 Posts
I use dish soap and hot water , put it in a large tupperware container with a lid and shake it around for a few minutes, take the air cleaner out , rinse it off and shake the water out , let it dry , then re-oil the air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use dish soap and hot water , put it in a large tupperware container with a lid and shake it around for a few minutes, take the air cleaner out , rinse it off and shake the water out , let it dry , then re-oil the air cleaner.
Dawn? The one for oily ducks, lol?

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
What are you guys using to clean your Air Cleaners with? I've been using K&N's cleaner for years but wonder if it's really worth all that, or is there something else out there you have found that works as good or better? Simple Green? Windex? Ammonia? Mr. Clean? Dishwasher, lol?
Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, apple scented.

Put soap and water into sink about 1/2 way up the thickness of the air filter gasket. Dab the air filter vertically into the soapy water while rotating the filter, and dont let the dirty water splash up to the inside of the filter else you just deposit the stuff youre trying to get rid of to the inside of the filter.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Stock SE air cleaner element paper of some kind. Follow instructions to wash it. Dawn works fine, rinse let air dry. First one went 20k developed pinholes. Blow air thru it every so often check for any pin holes. K&N not worth cost. Oil is only part that keeps dirt out. When oil evaporates its done filtering efficiently. .

·
old scoot coot
2,902 Posts
87 octane gasoline. the dirty air cleaners friend.rinse in the fuel then blow dry from inside to out with compressed air. a little oil in the gas will leave it treated till next time.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Purple Power degreaser. Soak the filter, rinse well with water, blow excess water off, let dry and reoil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts