Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 FLHTCUI TC88

I am looking at possibly upgrading the air filter and adding a PCV to my bike. I currently have some V&H exhaust slip-ons (not sure of which ones I believe they are discontinued.)

My first question is is there really difference between the "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" Arlen Ness Big Sucker as far as real world everyday touring bike goes? Possibly with a cam job down the road.

"Stage 1"
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Chrome Stage I Kit | 402-242 | J&P Cycles

"Stage 2"
Arlen Ness Stage II Big Sucker Kit for Twin Cam, Chrome Steel Cover | 402-428 | J&P Cycles

Also I love the look of this air filter and would love to have it, but does it offer any advantages over the big sucker or SE air filters?

Arlen Ness Inverted Series Deep Cut Black Air Cleaner Kit | 693-657 | J&P Cycles

I also assume that the Arlen Ness Derby Sucker is the same as the big sucker, but it allows you to use a derby cover on the outside of it. Can it be run without a derby cover until I have one that I like to throw on it?

Arlen Ness Chrome “Derby Cover� Big Sucker W/O Cover | 402-086 | J&P Cycles

***edit***
According to Arlen Ness the Derby Sucker is the Big Sucker Stage 2 with the only difference being the top plate allows you to place a derby cover on it.
I think this is the one I will go for. Lookig at the pictures in detail though it does seem as if the Derby Cover only mounts to the outside and there are no
screws that close of air holes in the side, so I can run it without a derby cover until I can afford one I like.

So I guess now the question is would I see any performance difference between a "Stage 1" and a "Stage 2" Big sucker?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
43,146 Posts
So I guess now the question is would I see any performance difference between a "Stage 1" and a "Stage 2" Big sucker?
Thanks for the help.
Not much.

There was only about 2 HP difference on the dyno between my Zipper's Max Flo air filter, and running with no filter at all on my bike.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/p...rs/maxflow-hiflow/maxflow-stage1-upgrade.html

So the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 would be less than that.... These aren't restrictive enough to cause much of any HP loss.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
When I look at all the available maps for my bike on my V&H FP3 not one asks for the air kit being used in the setup. All the info it asks for is muffler type, baffle type and engine size. They are assuming you have a big air kit but as far as which one it doesn't make difference as far as mapping is concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts