Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this answer. Too many different threads come up.

Can I get by with just buying a k&n air filter, rather than buy a whole air cleaner kit and still achieve high flow results? I just like the look of my stock air cleaner.

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
No.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Get you an arlen ness big sucker, its a high flow intake and k&n filter style, but still uses your stock cover. Thats what I have on mine. Other then not having a backing platr to complete the box, you cant tell its on there, until you fire the bike up and you can hear it sucking air. The flow is limuted more by the small opening in the bottom of the air box and the smaller opening where it connects to the throttle body.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
"still achieve high flow results". No. But the K&N will still be able to suck more air in than the stock cams will allow. IF like many of us, you will be adding pipes, etc. etc. on down the road, spend the few extra $$ now to get the high flowing setup. I still have the football cover on my S.E. unit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its not that much more $$ just wanted to see if it was really necessary. I'll be getting the arlen ness setup. Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Depending on what year bike we are talking about. You cut additional holes in air box. Along with K&N will allow more air flow. Cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
slimDC885;3843594 Sorry for the dumb question guys.[/QUOTE said:
No such thing as a dumb question.:) Unless you ask it 3 times in a row. Then your not paying attention.:mad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup same here. Installed today along with the fp3. Couldn't be happier. Well on second thought... after a stage 4 upgrade I'd be happier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts