Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FLHX Street Glide with 9K miles. Today, after a short ride, it shut off for no apparent reason at a stop sign. It was hard to start, but I got it running and I drove to a restaurant where I let it cool for a while. The temps today are in the low 80s. After leaving the restaurant, I noticed the AIR gauge was between 100 and 120, so I got out to the interstate and drove several miles. The AIR temp would not go below 100. The bike was not running/idling very smooth. I think the sensor for this AIR gauge may be bad.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks for the help.

·
2,327 Posts
Dump the gauge...put an oil temp gauge in it. I can always tell the air temp by the amount of burn on my forehead....hot..not so hot.. and damn hot :laugh

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
They make a good paper weight for my shop!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My air gauge is always running up at 100 and + it used to freak me out some. But after 4 years with this bike I don't care if it reads 20 or 200 there is absolutely no value to that gauge at all. Use the space for the oil temperature gauge instead. I don't need an air temperature gauge to tell me the skin on my leg is about to melt off. If the stalling is persistent when hot look at other cause and effects. like I say my Harley runs hot and don't have a stalling issue. However I did over heat the Lawn mower last week and it stalled to. But I'm betting that next time I use it if I put fresh gas in it instead of the old stuff it might not stall out on me next time I over heat it.
Also read a post yesterday of synthetic oils can drop running temperatures up to 20 deg. Don't know yet I still have one more oil change of Harley oil to use up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I use mobil 1 in my mower too....lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why the MoCO ever put that gauge in there is a mystery to me....Must have found a million of them for a penny a piece and just put them in....that's all they are worth 1 Cent...... I think we can all tell when it's Hot or Cold...and I don't ride inside the fairing anyway, LOL

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It is absolutely useless. If it was dead on accurate it would still be useless. Sweating I'm hot. Shivering I'm cold. Nuff said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts