Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking at my shop manual for my 13FXDWG, I see Harley recommends a alignment tool to make sure rear wheel is put back on straight. I went to get it, and bamm!! 100$. Now I believe in having the proper tools but before I spend my chrome $, there got to be another way.
Any tricks you guys could share?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Straighten a coat hanger and put a 1 inch 90* bend in one end. Center the bent end in the middle of the swingarm pivot and align the hanger with the center of the rear axle. Put a mark on the hanger at the axle center. The mark should match on both left and right axle ends for the wheel to be aligned.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Straighten a coat hanger and put a 1 inch 90* bend in one end. Center the bent end in the middle of the swingarm pivot and align the hanger with the center of the rear axle. Put a mark on the hanger at the axle center. The mark should match on both left and right axle ends for the wheel to be aligned.
Welding rod and a O ring (TIG rod) . :thumb

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Or simply measure from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt to the center of the axle on both sides. Measurement should be equal.

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
Made mine 15 years ago with a coat hanger and zip tie. $0. I've used it many many many times over the years.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Dang !!! Coat hangers are free aren't they ! ? Wonder if there's any money in used coat hangers, like Ebay or something ? Or disguising them as welding rods, coat 'em with sparkler stuff !

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
HaHa, where's he find that shit ! :rollin

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Dyna's used to have an alignment hole in the swingarm to stick the measuring rod into.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Right, but if ya don't have the hole ya just measure from the pivot to the axle ... simple !

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
I got a little energy (and the wife ran errands) so I snuck out to the garage and snagged a pic...

The zip tie is near the opposite end of my hand. I pulled it tight and made the end a point. I use it on the Dyna and the bagger.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I simply measure the axle bolt adjuster beyond the nut to the end and made them equal Drives straight. Because the swing arm bends somewhat when tightend, I don't trust the swing arm to rim way

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. My Dyna has the holes in the swing arm so I'll bend up a shorter rod or use a set of calipers. Even if I bought Harley's $99.00 tool, I'd still have to bend up some rods, and use those holes. Crazy, a hondo$ for two stupid plugs so I get the center of the axel.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Thanks everyone. My Dyna has the holes in the swing arm so I'll bend up a shorter rod or use a set of calipers. Even if I bought Harley's $99.00 tool, I'd still have to bend up some rods, and use those holes. Crazy, a hondo$ for two stupid plugs so I get the center of the axel.

I'd return that tool for my hundo back and just measure both sides.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Being from Wyandotte County Kansas I have a special love for using coat hangers for anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts