Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm stranded at my parents because my 07 Road King will not stay running. I rode it out here no problems at all. I go to leave and bike starts fine. It runs for a second then everything cuts out. No power at all. Everythings dead. Let the bike sit 10 minutes, powers on. Start the bike up to take off - I get to second gear and it cut out again.. Just put a new battery in it yesterday. Do you guys think it's a ground issue?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all, I'm stranded at my parents because my 07 Road King will not stay running. I rode it out here no problems at all. I go to leave and bike starts fine. It runs for a second then everything cuts out. No power at all. Everythings dead. Let the bike sit 10 minutes, powers on. Start the bike up to take off - I get to second gear and it cut out again.. Just put a new battery in it yesterday. Do you guys think it's a ground issue?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Does it sputter and die, or is it sudden? I'm thinking fuel pump. Other possibility is a loose connection at the ignition switch. The more ominous option is that when you reversed the leads jumping the bike you cooked the ecm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's running

It's not sputtering out when it quits, it just goes dead. This morning I tried to start it and it was dead. Battery was fine but no lights at all. I checked all the fuses and all were just fine. Seemed like if I unplugged the all the fuses and plugged them back in the power would come back on. I got the bike started and headed home because my parents are 80 years old and I didn't want them driving me all around. On the way home the bike cut out 4 times. It didn't cut all out like at my parents and I was able to start the bike and get it home but I'm not going to ride it anyplace until I know what's going on. I either have a short or the main computer has a short in it. Would connecting the positive to the negative do that. Stupid mistake I know, but it's too late to do anything about it now.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Wouldn't cross connecting the cables blow a fuse before doing damage? If not then unfortunately that is probably what caused it. Stupid mistakes happen we have all been there... Just have to deal with whatever happens as a result. Good luck.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
If you cross connected the cables, I would think you'd short something right away. This electrical gremlin seems to come and go. My vote is still with the battery, maybe the cables are loose, or you moved something on installation. I'd start there simply because the bike was fine before the battery was installed, therefore something changed..

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I'm with Gold. Won't hurt, for sure. I'd polish those mounts and connectors and get a good ass connection at each post. Red to red, and black to black. :laugh

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Loose battery connection car or bike, anything for that matter will cause the engine just stop. Happend to me back in the day when I had the 66 mustang and on a date to boot.

Go with Gold and Chief.
2010 also

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Check that the battery ground wire is tight down at the starter. It attaches at the rear starter mounting bolt. Check that the starter positive cable is tight too.
Also try swapping the lights and starter relays under the seat, they are both the same style relays and can be interchanged.
You can also lift the dash up and flip it over to make sure the ignition switch electrical connector is plugged onto the switch and locked in place.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had same symptoms when ign switch failed on '04 Dyna. Cleaned it; didn't help. Replaced it; never happened again (not yet anyway).

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
If the ECM were damaged the bike wouldn't start or run at all. The electrical circuits on an '07 are protected from reverse polarity by the diodes in the relays and regulator. Not saying the diodes wouldn't burn out but the circuits and ECM would be protected.
How long were the battery cables connected backwards ???
Why did you have to replace the battery after you got to your parent's house ??? Something else going on with the charging system ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
get the old multimeter out when it fails stick it on earth of battery and touch engine and frame see it you have continuety that will check the engine and frame have a good earth,if you have a complete electrical failure,ie ignition light off on the dash thats what your looking at.it could be a bad connection on your ignition switch aswell makbe a loose plug making and braking have look around for bad connections,hope this helps

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2007 Heritage did the same thing. When you get it running, try just touching the ignition switch or wiggling it slightly, i'll bet the bike dies. Sounds like a bad switch. Sweep the switch left to right over and over an see if it gets better, remove & clean, or just simply buy another switch. I paid $37.00 for my new switch,cleaned up the old one real good an keep it as a spare. Also check your codes and see if any are stored.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It's not sputtering out when it quits, it just goes dead. This morning I tried to start it and it was dead. Battery was fine but no lights at all. I checked all the fuses and all were just fine. Seemed like if I unplugged the all the fuses and plugged them back in the power would come back on. I got the bike started and headed home because my parents are 80 years old and I didn't want them driving me all around. On the way home the bike cut out 4 times. It didn't cut all out like at my parents and I was able to start the bike and get it home but I'm not going to ride it anyplace until I know what's going on. I either have a short or the main computer has a short in it. Would connecting the positive to the negative do that. Stupid mistake I know, but it's too late to do anything about it now.
I'm going to suggest ignition switch or battery cables.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 05 Heritage did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The plastic of the connector at the ignition switch had melted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts