Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Narrowed down my problem to a bad stator. When finding a replacement do I have an options are far as brands? types? etc? or are they all basically the same and I should just shop price? Thanks in advance.

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
The quality varies, usually in line with the price. I have saved a buck or two on stators and been burned. Two vacations far from home putting the battery on a tender every night is a pain.I bite the bullet now and only use Cycle Electric stators and voltage regulators. I call California Phil direct and get a really good price compared to other vendors.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
IMO, it's dangerous to make price your only criterion when choosing electrical components, especially something as critical to reliability as the charging system on your motorcycle. I learned my lesson on my voltage regulator. It's cheaper to get a quality part going in, than to find out the cheaper one doesn't do the job and then having to get the good anyway.

+1 on Cycle Electric products.
--

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The quality varies, usually in line with the price. I have saved a buck or two on stators and been burned.

That's what I was thinking... When I lived in the vintage VW world It was Bosch... I don't want to swap these out or kill batteries any more than I have to so... What's the go to unit?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
+1 on California Phil (who happens to be in Concordia, Kansas). Good guy, knows his stuff, and probably beats prices on everything Harley.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on California Phil (who happens to be in Concordia, Kansas). Good guy, knows his stuff, and probably beats prices on everything Harley.
That's where i'll start.....Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
I'll agree with the Cycle Electric stuff. I have bought direct on Amazon and saved a few bucks.

Use the website to get the right model.
http://cycleelectricinc.com/

·
Registered
184 Posts
Harley sells a High output Charging system which is what I put on my SG for varios reasons but I can tell you that part of it is a heavy duty stator that has been rock solid.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
Harley sells a High output Charging system which is what I put on my SG for varios reasons but I can tell you that part of it is a heavy duty stator that has been rock solid.
I believe the high output stator is standard in all FLH models. Due to the higher drain.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I always figure I am saving a ton of money on labor, so I buy the very best parts I can buy. Plus, I don't want to do the repair again any sooner than I have to.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
If anyone makes one larger than 55 amp, I've not been able to find it . :mad

:coffee:
Believe the 55 is the high output. Less output on the non heavier accessorized bikes. Maybe 30+. But have not looked it up in a while.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Believe the 55 is the high output. Less output on the non heavier accessorized bikes. Maybe 30+. But have not looked it up in a while.
MoCo says 54 amps at high rpm's . I only need the output to be more once a year. So most of us just use an extra battery .

:coffee:

·
Registered
184 Posts
dunno, I got the Upgraded High ouput charging system installed when we did the engine build along with a heavy duty starter at the mechanics suggestion.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
talked to california Phil. Seemed like a great guy that really knew what he was talking about. He gave me 2 options.. a replacement stator for about $150.00 or a three phase system for about $450.00 He commented on the 3 phase spins much easier, less horsepower needed, higher output. My question is is this just a performance upgrade, or a better idea all around. If i go for it it might have to wait till riding season is over. Don't have the bread right now..... Thoughts??? Thanks

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
That full 3-phase system is gonna really be more efficient and get full charge at a lower RPM (like right off idle). I understand about the bucks though. I bit the bullet on my '97 Ultra and never regretted it after seeing the volt meter being above 12 volts even at idle, makes a lot of difference on a loaded dresser with all the lights and accessories. On my FXR, I talked to Carl at Cycle Electric and he saw no need for the 3-phase system on it because it just had basic lighting and no EFI to run. I just got a CE replacement stator(ordered from Phil) and get great performance out of it. I put a Kuryakyn volt meter on it a few years ago when I was having intermittent charging problems from a cheap Accel stator and it is comforting to see 2 green lights lit up going down the road.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rat, I might just limp her along charging at rest and bite the bullet and spring for the 3 phase in the off-season. appreciate your thoughts...

·
Registered
184 Posts
After reading this I called up the mechanic who did the engine build on my bike at the dealership and asked him "Why he recommended the new charging system and starter for my bike. His response was The Charging system was mainly becouse of the all the electronic extras on the bike and becouse I had mentioned that I run an Ipod and plug my phone into the bike for charging. The starter had more to do with the engine becouse he believes mine as it is now would need the extra gumption to turn the engine and for longevity becouse its going to work harder to start the bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts