Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading these posts about mapping or not, well my 883 went to 1250, mikuni 42 carb and drag pipe slip-ons. Do i need to re-map? Oh it's an "05" Or is there anything else i need to do?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Mapping is for fuel injected bikes. It's a little software program that detemines the air/fuel mixture. With your carbed bike you would rejet your carb to get the right air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
After a good hard run,about 3 miles or so,immediately pull over to the side of the road,pull the plugs while they are still hot and check the color and adjust Your jets accordingly.If they are frosty white looking Your way to lean.

·
Registered
40,808 Posts
Not sure if you have a copy of the Mikuni Tuning Manual, but if not you can download it here: http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hsr_tuningmanual_021003.pdf

If you follow the tuning section in there, you will get it as close as possible without using an exhaust gas analyzer on a dyno.

I am running the HSR 45, I think you will be very satisfied with that carb. One thing I will share with you that I picked up from the guy that did my last dyno tune... Once or twice a year, depending on how much you ride in the rain etc, use some carb cleaner on the springs on the upper front of the carb and the accelerator pump actuating rod. Crud accumulates in these areas over time and hinders their operation. Part numbers 35, 45, and 79 on page 19 are what I am talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts