Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scary stuff...Scary stuff.... More proof of the fact that road designers just don't consider the safety of motorcyclists at all!!

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Glad ya came out of it ok.

Ya might want to check your facts. Last I knew (when I lived there) the speed limit on unposted roads in New York was 30mph.
A quick google search seems to indicate it still is.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lack of posted speed limits a concern - Hudson Catskill Newspapers: News

That is somewhat anecdotal, but regardless, (should have said it in the video) I was being partly a dumbass. The problem is, that blind hill gave me 0 visibility! I would have slowed down anyway if not for the garbage trucks, but probably not enough!

If it is 30mph though then what about state routes that are unposted for a long time. Because of that I always assumed it went back to the state speed limit of 55.

The way that I understand it is that the unposted speed limit changes if you are within city limits, the type of road etc...Don't know that I am right though.
Hmmmmmm

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
I would suspect you are right about type/location etc.
I didn't research it that far.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suspect you are right about type/location etc.
I didn't research it that far.
Nor did I. I will find out though. Really should know that there is no excuse I don't!

I would also like to add that I am not trying to blame all of this in the road and stuff. I know that I screwed up too. Too much speed over a blind hill. A little extreme case of that, but still...just another learning experience. Wish I had a dual sport. I would have locked the rear, kicked the rear end out and did a really bad ass drift down the hill (OK...probably not. That's what I'd like to think I would do though he he he)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
That looks like any state highway in Indiana!

It's obvious you handled it well.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
I know what you mean. I have been told I should have knobbies on the Softail.
I tend to go places most would rather avoid.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Chalk it up as a learning experience and hope it made you a better rider.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
The yellow diamond shaped sign at the beginning of that road that read "Dead End" said it all. Shite happens...lol

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The yellow diamond shaped sign at the beginning of that road that read "Dead End" said it all. Shite happens...lol

Yea well...Guess who missed the dead end sign on the road, and 3 times in the video!!

Yep that is me.

Looks like this is becoming more and more my fault...No excuse to have not seen that sign!

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Yea well...Guess who missed the dead end sign on the road, and 3 times in the video!!

Yep that is me.

Looks like this is becoming more and more my fault...No excuse to have not seen that sign!
It's called a brain fart. We all do it. :ride

But you handled the gravel and ruts with ease dude!! The video would have been better though if you had that sporty sideways!!! I used to do that with a Honda XL 350.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's called a brain fart. We all do it. :ride

But you handled the gravel and ruts with ease dude!! The video would have been better though if you had that sporty sideways!!! I used to do that with a Honda XL 350.
I am actually surprised how calm I was through all of it. I have been off road a lot with that bike so that by all means helps alot. I don't mind brain farts but if they are potentially deadly.....thats when I get concerned.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you are okay. I think your problem is being a steelers fan. Other then that good to go ;)

I'm far from a steelers fan....

Made the damn account many moons ago....I couldn't care less about sports in general

Edit: that came out kinda harsh....didn't mean it that way...just saying that's all!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's a whole lot of blind driveways on that little dead end side road. I'm no speed nanny but 55mph would seem insane. Glad everything turned out OK.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why would you ride at high speed down a road that you don't know? If you can't stop in the distance you can see, you are going to fast for conditions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts