Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call last night, one of the local handgun safety classes had a cancelation and had room for me today. I jumped at it, since most opening were over two months away.

Went in today and took the class and scored 100 on the written test and 100 on the range. I'll have everything in order for my concealed carry permit next week.

·
Noel
8,472 Posts
Be interesting to see how long it takes TN to issue one to you.

I am at the 5+ week mark waiting on Mass to finish my background check.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't remember for sure, but I think it might have taken about 2 months to get mine (Texas).

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Mine took 2 weeks....Filled out my paperwork, they copied my DL, called them in 2 weeks, approved, went there, paid $20, they took my picture, and printed it out on the spot. I love the south. :thumbsup

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
The next question is, how long does it take to get your freedom of speech permit and your freedom of religion permit and are you allowed to use them out in the open, or do you have to conceal them? :stir:hello

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
When I first got my concealed carry it only took 4 weeks for my background check to go through. When I renewed it, it only took 2 weeks for background check to go through.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went in this morning and filled out my paperwork and paid my fee ($115). Gotta wait 24 hrs to get my finger prints. Then I wait...

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
The next question is, how long does it take to get your freedom of speech permit and your freedom of religion permit and are you allowed to use them out in the open, or do you have to conceal them? :stir:hello
:ughwerd:

I am all for concealed carry and open carry, and the right to choose not to carry, but Pred8ter is exactly right. It pisses me off that we are being forced to get the governments permission to exercise our constitutional rights.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went in this morning and filled out my paperwork and paid my fee ($115). Gotta wait 24 hrs to get my finger prints. Then I wait...
Good grief! I gotta wait till Monday to get my prints taken... It was the only time available that I could get.:loco

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,355 Posts
It took a month after they took my money for the permit to arrive in the mail. I took an enhanced (or advanced) class a few weeks ago and took the certificate to the State patrol office. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes with the advanced license.

·
Banned
447 Posts
:ughwerd:

I am all for concealed carry and open carry, and the right to choose not to carry, but Pred8ter is exactly right. It pisses me off that we are being forced to get the governments permission to exercise our constitutional rights.
Think about this --

They have your prints, a mug shot, all your ID cross referenced w/ DMV so the police know you're packing when they pull you over . . .

No need for "gun registration" -- They've registered the GUN OWNER.

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
Think about this --

They have your prints, a mug shot, all your ID cross referenced w/ DMV so the police know you're packing when they pull you over . . .

No need for "gun registration" -- They've registered the GUN OWNER.
Which is exactly why I have been considering NOT renewing my permission slip.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Which is exactly why I have been considering NOT renewing my permission slip.
Actually, it generally works in your favor with the police. After calling in your license plate #, they know you have a CHL. So, they know you've been vetted and are not a criminal. But, ALWAYS show them your CHL card along with your driver's license. Even though they know, they get pi$$ed if you don't tell them. A cop told me this.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
It took a month after they took my money for the permit to arrive in the mail. I took an enhanced (or advanced) class a few weeks ago and took the certificate to the State patrol office. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes with the advanced license.
Kd, are you saying the advanced training/class got you an advanced carry permit? What is advanced about it? What can you do with an advanced carry permit you couldn't already do with a regular permit?

I like out setup here in KY. Our law allows us to carry concealed deadly weapons on or about our person. Any number or combination of firearms, switchblades, nunchucks, etc. If it ain't against state or federal law to own a certain type of weapon we are allowed to carry it concealed.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Kd, are you saying the advanced training/class got you an advanced carry permit? What is advanced about it? What can you do with an advanced carry permit you couldn't already do with a regular permit?

I like out setup here in KY. Our law allows us to carry concealed deadly weapons on or about our person. Any number or combination of firearms, switchblades, nunchucks, etc. If it ain't against state or federal law to own a certain type of weapon we are allowed to carry it concealed.
In Mississippi, the advanced permit allows you to carry in places not normally allowed. For example bars as lonf as you're not drinking, stores that do not allow concealed carry, etc. There are a few federal bildings still off limits, but that is about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts