Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Doc
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day to ride in Ohio today - I'll HOPEFULLY have a video to go along with this if someone here can help. I have a Drift hd720 that I THINK I had engaged and rolling while I was behind a drunk driver who went left of center on a country road and I have NO IDEA how he missed a head on collision with a volvo. Head still racing a bit! The drunk was COMPLETELY in the oncoming lane. They clipped and the drunk went rolling past as his mirror was torn from his car and went flying. I slowed down, my ridding buddy slowed but not fast enough and tapped me, and the car behind him slid to a halt before hitting us both. Bottom line is the drunk kept on going. I tried to get going again to see if I could get his plate but no luck. Anyway, I have a vidoe file I THINK, but for some reason, I can't seem to view it. Is anyone here a video expert or have some ideas?

The guy who got hit caught up with us to see if we were ok and got the guys plate number; Bottom line: everyone safe, the only damage to my bike was a torn saddle bag - no one went down and the volvo got the side of his vehicle scraped up. God only knows how this didn't end up totally tragic. if I can recover this video, I just may have his plate number and nail the creep.

·
Try'n to behave
5,854 Posts
Thank God you guys weren't hurt and everyone walked away. This could have ended so much different.

Great reminder that we always need to keep our heads on a swivel.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
What format is your video? What kind of camera? You need to give us a little more info here.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Its a drift HD 720... He said it.

If you have the file but cant view it (corrupted, or whatever) try opening the file in a video editing program. A lot of the times it will work and you can view it, then save it as a new video. Just a little trick for ya if that's the case. More info would be mighty helpful.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Doc
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the format is supposedly a .mov The first 3 video's I took seem to work fine, but the video in question, although 833mb in length, which should be about 25 minutes or so is problematic. The video camera is a DRIFT HD 720. Nothing was done to the camera between the first two videos (first 2 legs of the ride) and they are both fine, but this video and one I just took as a test, don't even show up on the camera but do in fact exist on the micro SD card. I've tried using Quick Time, but it says it can't understand the format and gives me a 2048 error, I also tried with no luck using windows media player and Apple iTunes...

·
Doc
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried opening it in Windows Moviemaker but again, didn't work.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
scary stuff, glad you folks made out OK

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Dang, man! Lucky day for all, I suppose. I hope you do get that video working and that you have his license plate number.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Doc
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly, Squeekie, the VideoLAN didn't do the trick; it looked like it tried to play, but no video shows up and it appears to stop trying after 1/2 second. I've already tried the moviemaker option and it simply didn't recognize the file type.

THanks for all the help thusfar, but I'm still open to any other words of wisdom. I have to believe there's a real file there; I "see" all 816 mb of it but I'm just not smart enough to figure it out. I'm contacting Drift Innovations (manufacturer) tomorrow to see if they can be of some help.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Sadly, Squeekie, the VideoLAN didn't do the trick; it looked like it tried to play, but no video shows up and it appears to stop trying after 1/2 second. I've already tried the moviemaker option and it simply didn't recognize the file type.

THanks for all the help thusfar, but I'm still open to any other words of wisdom. I have to believe there's a real file there; I "see" all 816 mb of it but I'm just not smart enough to figure it out. I'm contacting Drift Innovations (manufacturer) tomorrow to see if they can be of some help.
If you upload it to Google Drive and send me a link to it I will download and try to get it to play if you want. I am pretty good with this sorta stuff. I'd like to nail the bastard. Pm me if you are interested we can figure something out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
I hope you can view the file as soon as possible. Is this video file in anyway evidence that could be used to convict someone for reckless driving? You can't prove DWI, but reckless is reckless. I was just wondering. Glad you all are safe and uninjured!

·
Doc
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@StillBill - I had the same thought - but since there was contact and damage and the video would have shown him weaving for 3 miles before the accident, I'm sure the video would be tough to dispute and the hit and run would have been clear.

I just tried a video recovery software from Germany - no luck. I'm losing hope but I'll be talking to the manufacturer today I hope.

@XL1200R - Thanks for your help, I'll check out the google drive thing and PM you today as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts