Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make my SG fit me more to my liking , being blessed with a short inseam I've looked at lowering options and have decided to look at that as a last resort due to some of the feed back about ride and handling in the long haul.

I'm thinking about sending my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles to have them do there "Super Narrow" mod ;

"We reshape the sitting area of the seat to lower the ride height as much as possible and change the foam to Memory foam in the driver's sitting area. We narrow the seat pan where your legs go down so that the seat doesn't keep your legs spread apart as much and this really helps get your feet on the ground a lot better. (With this modification we can lower the riding position or keep it stock height. We can move the riding position forward or back or maintain the current front to back sitting position.)

NOTE - For stock Harley Davidson Touring bike seats 2011-2015"

and possibly move forward an inch also. I can sit almost flat footed but not much leverage / range of motion to maneuver for parking.

Anybody done this ? Happy with the results ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like you I too have a short inseem (27) and even had to add extensions on my engine guard foot pegs. My first thought is how will that seat feel on a long haul? If I were you, I would look into lowering the bike to fit you then you will have the options of what seat you want. If your planning on keeping the bike longterm then it should fit you. I have a 2011 sg and will tell you that the stock seat isn't comfortable on a long haul on you or a passenger. I bought a hammock seat. Now me and any passengers don't get that butt numbness on long rides. Just a thought.

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
I am 5 5 on a 13 SG. Mean city did my seat. Turn around was 1 day, but you have to set an appt. They will also add memory foam to the seat which makes it very comfy. I rode 9 hours straight from key west and could have keep going. For $150, it's well worth it. I also added progressive mono tubes to drop the front end but offset it a bit with a 19 wheel. I am now just barely flat footed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Jax for the input. Now I'm going to see bout moding my stock seat. It looks much better than the hammock on the sg. BTW I cant wait to do the Key West ride myself.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am 5 5 on a 13 SG. Mean city did my seat. Turn around was 1 day, but you have to set an appt. They will also add memory foam to the seat which makes it very comfy. I rode 9 hours straight from key west and could have keep going. For $150, it's well worth it. I also added progressive mono tubes to drop the front end but offset it a bit with a 19 wheel. I am now just barely flat footed.
Someday I would love to see the seat on your bike. I'm tall but don't like the stock SG seat (numbness.) I'm in Jax so pm me sometime.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jax , kinda feed back I was hoping for. Seems a better option to try 1st since any aftermarket seat or shocks are going to be well over $150. Think I'll call them tomorrow and discuss options , then fill out there form and schedule while I'm in the middle of winter anyway.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I live not too far from Mean City Cycles. They do as good of a job on seats as anyone. narrowing a seat and lowering it, even a little can go a long way to getting your legs closer to the ground. Modifying the seat sure beats lowering the suspension and the ensuing harsher ride.

I know a woman whose father has struggled with his Road King for years. His wife took his favorite riding boots to a shoe shop where they increased the thickness of the soles and heels by about 3/8". That does not sound like much, but it now lets him get both feet flat on the ground when he is stopped.

Pete

I'm looking to make my SG fit me more to my liking , being blessed with a short inseam I've looked at lowering options and have decided to look at that as a last resort due to some of the feed back about ride and handling in the long haul.

I'm thinking about sending my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles to have them do there "Super Narrow" mod ;

"We reshape the sitting area of the seat to lower the ride height as much as possible and change the foam to Memory foam in the driver's sitting area. We narrow the seat pan where your legs go down so that the seat doesn't keep your legs spread apart as much and this really helps get your feet on the ground a lot better. (With this modification we can lower the riding position or keep it stock height. We can move the riding position forward or back or maintain the current front to back sitting position.)

NOTE - For stock Harley Davidson Touring bike seats 2011-2015"

and possibly move forward an inch also. I can sit almost flat footed but not much leverage / range of motion to maneuver for parking.

Anybody done this ? Happy with the results ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not the exact mod you are describing but I had my EG seat done by Mean City. They lowered me an inch and moved me forward an inch along with adding memory foam. I am very pleased with the results and the look. Good folks.

Doogle

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody , Talked to Mean City today , got my appointment set for Feb 2nd to have it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts