Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a manufacturer of saddle bags made out of aluminum.
I am looking for custom bags, something different. Does anyone have a line on this? Thanks!

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
There are plenty of custom bags out there that would qualify as "different" but none that I know of that are made of aluminum.

As a guy that built a plane out of aluminum I wouldn't want them.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
There are plenty of custom bags out there that would qualify as "different" but none that I know of that are made of aluminum.

As a guy that built a plane out of aluminum I wouldn't want them.
?????????????????

Saddlebags and planes are vastly different. Aluminum biggest disadvantage over steel is that it cracks much more easily than it bends. That being said, if made the proper thickness an aluminum saddlebag should be fine.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
When building my plane I saw it do both pretty often. And I saw it bend enough to leave a dent many time. Sure you can use thick enough aluminum that it would be a problem but there are plenty of materials that I would use before aluminum for saddle bags.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
When building my plane I saw it do both pretty often. And I saw it bend enough to leave a dent many time. Sure you can use thick enough aluminum that it would be a problem but there are plenty of materials that I would use before aluminum for saddle bags.
Personally I would use 309 stainless steel if I was going for that look. It will polish to a shine like Aluminum but will be stronger too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts