Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2004 Heritage Softail Classic from the local dealership because my wife and I wanted to start riding places together. The dealership never said anything about whether we may to heavy for the bike or not. I weigh 315lbs and my wife is 260. I am worried I may be doing harm to the bike by riding 2 up. Bike seems to drive fine with us, I do notice the engine heat seems hotter, just got a heat deflector for the bike. Anyone else ride with this much weight? I am waiting for the dealership to get me a new owners manual. Are the shocks underneath adjustable?

·
Road Junkie
2,020 Posts
Your VIN sticker will tell you the GVWR for your particular bike. I believe the book says 1,160 lbs and the bike weighs ~760 lbs, so you have approximately 400 lbs for passengers and load. Might be able to work with your dealer or an indy on options (e.g., progressive shocks) to boost the limit. I believe the touring models can handle upwards of 1.360 lbs GVWR.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
just be careful. You are over the max rating for the bike. You just have give yourself plenty of stopping distance, Make sure the shocks are adjusted, etc.

I had the same bike, same year. I got rid of it because it was hard to stop with us 2 up. I've always thought that bike should have dual front brakes.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Not to far above the gross limit. (About 153 pounds over with full fuel load.)

Get the shock wrench and turn the preload up on them.

Switch to sintered EBC HH pads on the brakes.

I run overloaded most of the time two up with luggage. Biggest thing I notice is tires wear out faster. Never had a handling issue. After a couple hundred miles you will know the braking distance, if you are not happy with them switch to a brembo 6 puck calipers. I did not switch as the handling is fine as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As others have stated, getting a good set of shocks and brake pads will help. Give yourself plenty of stopping room and go slow over railroad crossings, some are real bumpy. With already being over the limit you may also want to watch how much luggage you put on the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going a different route. Yes, the Heritage is not the best ride for you and and yours. You need a different motorcycle. Look into the gvwr's and go from there. By general appearance a softail just doesn't seem the best choice.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Gross Weight the bike can carry is due to suspension (front and rear) and brakes and even the frame in some cases. You can upgrade everything but the frame. Like others have said, you may notice a stopping distance change unless you upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I am gonna upgrade the shocks, brakes, and maybe look into an oil cooler, and start a diet plan. The road king is to big for my short legs and arms

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . The road king is to big for my short legs and arms
Pretty much any issue like this can be addressed. I've seen 5'2" women on ultras. If you have the right seat, suspension and bars, by one can ride anything. If you like to ride 2-up a lot, you should at least consider migrating to one of the FLH bikes. It is MUCH better suited for it.

If you just can't part with the heritage your plans will help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chasarms, just financed this bike, so getting another bike is not an option. What kinda pisses me off though is that we bought this bike from a HD Dealership, they had seen us trying on bikes. They sold us our last bike as well. Why didn't they tell us we may need a bigger bike? They are aware of the bikes weight limits.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Chasarms, just financed this bike, so getting another bike is not an option. What kinda pisses me off though is that we bought this bike from a HD Dealership, they had seen us trying on bikes. They sold us our last bike as well. Why didn't they tell us we may need a bigger bike? They are aware of the bikes weight limits.

I am guessing that you loved the bike before you posted in the thread on this forum.

If you stiffen up the suspension a little bit, and put better brake pads on it, you'll be okay. Just be careful. You can still have an awful a lot of fun on that motorcycle. Don't let any of this crap get to you.

I loved my heritage. I still kind of miss it sometimes. In a lot of ways, I thought it rode more comfortably than even my ultra.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
I think vary few folks buy a bike and have just the way they want it set up off the showroom floor . Pretty typical to make modifications to taylor to your liking or needs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
A lot of bikes have a fairly low weight carrying rating. Even the Goldwing is only rated to carry 408 lbs: rider, passenger and cargo. That is routinely exceeded by everyone. One weak point is the rear tire's load rating which gets improved by going darkside (car tire).

As far as engine load is concerned, Lots of people pull trailers with a gross weight higher than yours with no ill effects on the engine. Their braking is even more challenged because the extra weight isn't on the braking tires. They use a little extra caution and do fine. You'll be fine too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When you go to adjust your rear shocks, if you're not going to upgrade them right now, spray the jam nut and threaded rod down with some PB Blaster or something. Odds are they have not been adjusted in years, and with them being under the frame they can get pretty gritty. I had a 2005 Fat Boy that I didn't adjust for about 3 years until my wife decided to start riding with me more. I had to let the shocks soak overnight to get the jam nut to come loose before I could adjust them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Yamaha (sorry guys) but bought a new heavier spring from Eibach and it helped a lot. No problems with the 07 deluxe though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts