Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past memorial day, as a veteran, I spent being thankful for what we have and the ultimate price that so many service members made for us and this country. That weekend I noticed my email is flooded by different companies offering sales and discounts in honor of memorial day. I think ok, maybe HD will have a big sale since they're an American company built and supported by so many Americans and Americans that are veterans. Well memorial weekend and memorial day came and went with nothing from HD. Is this normal? Do they ever offer decent sales or acknowledge their customer base? Ive owned a harley for 5 years now and have become increasingly bothered by this.

Am I wrong for feeling like this? I know they might be in financial strain but it didn't happen overnight. I think they've been a little greedy and over priced themselves to many. IMHO..... I really do love harleys though! Best looking motorcycles that represent USA.

·
Registered
22,151 Posts
I live a mile from a H-D dealer , I don't recall a Memorial day sale in 29 years.
They do have a military discount on Wednesdays on parts and clothes.

·
Registered
921 Posts
So this past memorial day, as a veteran, I spent being thankful for what we have and the ultimate price that so many service members made for us and this country. That weekend I noticed my email is flooded by different companies offering sales and discounts in honor of memorial day. I think ok, maybe HD will have a big sale since they're an American company built and supported by so many Americans and Americans that are veterans. Well memorial weekend and memorial day came and went with nothing from HD. Is this normal? Do they ever offer decent sales or acknowledge their customer base? Ive owned a harley for 5 years now and have become increasingly bothered by this.

Am I wrong for feeling like this? I know they might be in financial strain but it didn't happen overnight. I think they've been a little greedy and over priced themselves to many. IMHO..... I really do love harleys though! Best looking motorcycles that represent USA.
I gotta say this is the first post i have replied to that just pisses me off:
H.D. Doesn't need a "Memorial Day Sale"! Those companies that do, they are playing you and every one of their customers. Why do i say this, simple: Every H.D. Dealership has "Veteran Preference" We get a discount on every item. Up to and including motorcycles. If you don't tell them you are Active Duty or a Vet. It's on you, not them!

·
Registered
53 Posts
On a day meant to Memorialize those who paid the ultimate price in defense of liberty you want to shop?

“In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American
26,539 Posts
My local dealership has 20% off parts and apparel usually once a month. It is HD's choice, don't shop there if you disagree with the business model. Thank you for your service.

·
Try'n to behave
5,775 Posts
Almost every dealership I have been in offer a military discount, usually 10%. They don't just offer it to active duty, they also include retired members.

Also, Harley Davidson is one of a few companies that sell vehicles that offer active duty military an overseas buying program. Depending on where you are serving, you can custom order a bike at a substantially reduced price and it will be waiting for you at the dealership of your choice when you return or I think you can also have it shipped overseas at a reduced rate.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Companies that offer Memorial Day sales really piss me off. The day/ weekend isn’t for sales and companies that use it for that need to get a clue. Maybe instead of a sale they could use the money they are giving you back as a sale and use it to support veteran’s causes.

Just my opinion, but as a father who has lost a son while serving I guess I am entitled to it.

·
weird member
2,230 Posts
I kind of agree, running a holiday sale on a holiday that's meant to honor people who died in service of others seems sleezy and exploitative. If I was a veteran or served, probably would piss me off. Like, "people died and you want to have a sale? Sounds like an excellent way to honor their sacrifice!" 🙄

I mean, as other's said, many offer year-round discounts for military.

Also, there's another holiday called Veteran's Day that might be more appropriate for giving sales discounts to veterans rather than the day that honors said veterans' friends that didn't make it home.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am in agreement with those of you dismayed by Memorial Day sales and "Happy Memorial Day". There is no room for either if we put it in its intended context. I, like so many have friends that are no longer here and my three war Dad who, though he didn't die on active duty is gone and that day is spent considering their sacrifices and the price paid to keep this country safe and free. That should not equate to a discount for those of us still here. I am not judging those who do, rather I ask you to consider the reason for the day. We surviving veterans are grateful for the thanks for our service but that is not what the day is for either. That is Veterans Day.
Once a year stop, remember the men and women that have died to give you the freedom you enjoy in the greatest nation on this earth, tell your kids about the selfless sacrifice of that part of the 1% of our population that served and DIED for this country. It is a somber thing, not a celebration. Our freedom can and should be celebrated, but always with its cost in mind, because it is NOT free, not by a long shot.

·
Registered
686 Posts
To the OP.
My other post was NOT intended to be judgmental, and I actually wonder at why HD dealers do what they do and don't do. Each one is different. Savannah HD had a three day deal all weekend, to touch on your post. They NEVER give a break on bikes because you served, just parts clothes etc..
Sorry if it seemed like I lashed out at you. that was not the intent. Memorial Day is misunderstood by so many that didn't't serve and I just went off........

·
Registered
686 Posts
Companies that offer Memorial Day sales really piss me off. The day/ weekend isn’t for sales and companies that use it for that need to get a clue. Maybe instead of a sale they could use the money they are giving you back as a sale and use it to support veteran’s causes.

Just my opinion, but as a father who has lost a son while serving I guess I am entitled to it.

There is no guessing on your part. You ARE entitled to it and with our respect, and sorrow.
You speak from an experience, we who can not, pray with thanks to God for not fully understanding. I am so sorry.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,754 Posts

I thought of y’all. How are you and Jen? Miss ya, old friend.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Any excuse for some greedy company to make more money , they have no respect no understanding .
I would feel same if on 11th November ( our remembrance) for the sacrifice of those that fought in WW1 +2 and all further hostilities and shops and stores did that here ...#
Nothing Happy about Your memorial day and our Remembrance Day.
These places should be closed to show their respect

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I thought of y’all. How are you and Jen? Miss ya, old friend.
We are doing well thanks. May is a tough month with Mother’s Day, Bobb’s birthday and Memorial Day all falling close. We keep it low key and spend a lot of time doing what we can to help others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts