Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
29 years old. I really like the 2014 Ultra Limited, but wonder how the ride is solo. My wife loves to ride on the bike and of course the Limited is better suited for a passenger when compared to other models. I like all the features that the Limited has, and the 2014 models look nice. I plan on taking some trips on it, but also cruise around town a lot. I compare it to a minivan, no one wants to drive a minivan around town solo, but when you have a bunch of kids in the back it's perfect. It's either the Limited or the Street Glide Special. I know a lot of people will think screw everyone else and get what you want. And I agree. Just looking for responses that acknowledge what I'm trying to say. Thanks so much!!

1984 Harley Davidson XLH-Sold
2012 Harley Davidson Fatboy- RIP

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,476 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think I read in the contract that you had to have gray hair, a pension being paid and have a wheelchair.....or something to that effect...
Just why does there have to be an age limit on Touring bikes like the Ultra just because I'm an ancient old goat riding one?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the Limited offer a detachable backrest and tour pack option? If so anyone know how much?

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Really there's age limits!! I would not worry about what everyone else thinks about what I look like riding the bike I want! And don't really care what others ride. Just get what you want and ride that baby!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Get the Limited. It's cheaper to take stuff off than add on. There are quick detachable kits for the tour pack then you have a SG.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you have to ask you probably are, but ya better get the one YOU/your wife wants,because you will be disappointed if you don't.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the Limited. It's cheaper to take stuff off than add on. There are quick detachable kits for the tour pack then you have a SG.

Regarding the detachable kits, that just removes the pack? Or the back rest also? And once removed can I just put a leather bib down or is the Limited a "one piece" seat?

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have to ask you probably are, but ya better get the one YOU/your wife wants,because you will be disappointed if you don't.

Lol. I must say my wife is on board for whatever I want. Which is good.

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Just smart beyond your years is all.......:thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought one and I traded in my 2007 Softail. After having the Softail and trying the Ultra at first I felt I didn't want to give up the pure riding feel of the Softail but I got a little bored riding by myself because my wife wouldn't let me take my daughter on the Softail. She felt it was a little unsafe with no backrest. Well I tried an Ultra Limited and I found it didn't leave me wanting in quickness and handling and the backrest, the radio, the faring and the smoothness of the ride were incredible. My Wife loved it and so does my Daughter.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Ride Safe!! Cheers
I know brother just pokin fun you will enjoy whatever you get and you will love the Ultra, very comfy and even better for extended seat time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding the detachable kits, that just removes the pack? Or the back rest also? And once removed can I just put a leather bib down or is the Limited a "one piece" seat?

Ride Safe!! Cheers

I just had mine and the first thing I would want to do one my bike is to remove the tour pack! It cost around 1000$ including flasher, wired and all the kit for the quick release! But after talking to some people all told me to leave it like that, ride a lot before with it a after you will know if you want again to remove it!

I just put my money on an exhaust and wait for it at the moment! Hoping it arrive this week!

Last thing, I trade my vrod muscle for the flhtk and for sure the ride is a long way different between both bike and I will enjoy more the feeling and the powerful of the vrod but for the long ride, it can't be compare to the flhtk! Love it!

My 2cents

Good luck in your choice

·
Super Moderator
4,355 Posts
Are you allowed to have both the Fat Boy and the Limited. That = go for it! If not, I would stick with the Fat Boy if you ride 250 miles or less 80% of the time. I had to make a similar decision when I sold my 97 Heritage, bagger or Softtail. My wife does not ride enough, plus I am good for 600 a day on the softtail. The storage would be nice, as would a comfy passenger but that is only 15% of the time. 80% the softtail suits me perfectly so the breakout made way more sense. Get the wife on the Limited, she will love it and do what it takes to get it as an additional bike. Age is irrelevant. I am 38 but probably as mature as 22 but sometimes I wake up feeling 60.

Plus, not sure if you have kids. If you don't and are planning on it. She will not be able to ride nearly as often. I have 2 under 2 yrs old and my wife has ridden once in that 2 years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm an old goat and remember when the only choice you had was a "dresser" Harley or Indian.

Best of both worlds now , '10 RK & '08 Dyna

·
Registered
49 Posts

Ride Safe!! Cheers
I traded a 99 Ultra Classic for the current 2011 Limited. The trunk is moveable, as the previous owner added this, and when the wife saw that she fell in love with it. It makes all the difference, for comfort. It appears that the trunk would also come off, just sliding it.
I am not sure if you state you are buying a 2014 or not, and do not know what options that year has. I know though for us it was a must have once we test drove it with the option of moving the trunk back and forth!
BTW, I would think that perhaps the age makes no differnce at all! I don't think it would be a good choice for a teenie bopper, but it is up to the one riding it, and the heck with what anyone else thinks!
Be safe!

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the 2014's you have to buy a light kit because they did away with the signal light bar, so when the tour pack is off you have no turn signals. They sell a LED kit that attaches to the bottom back end of the hard saddlebags.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think that the light kit Rainman1957 mentions is included in the removable tour pack kit or can be purchased by it self. Of course, may be wrong......

1 - 20 of 55 Posts