Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone prefer (or tryout) overinflated rear BIAS BELTED dunlop american elite 200/55r17? I am heavy, got heavy bike, ride slowly on nice dry smooth roads so for me generally work pressure 87psi (6 bar) for years. but actually i am using radial belted rear tire that dont groowing with pressure. radials only getting harder and stay with same circuit. now i am thinking buy BIAS belted dunlop american elite 200/55r17 and want to know whether this tire getting groowing circuit with higher inflating pressure. if yes, so would love buy this tire for fatter profile looking and customize mine bike. Bias belted tires are generally known expand in the middle of thread with raise tire pressure and groowing tire circuit one inch for every 10psi. can anyone measure circuit of this tire inflated to 80-90psi? this tire must be also visually bigger.. (dont worry, bursting pressure is somewhere betwen 300-500psi). if this tire is bias belted (without some restrictor belt in the center around) so will be visually bigger at this pressure, equivalent to 205/65r17. actually mine front duro hf918 140/70r17 is equivalent to 145/75r17 overinflated. this is nature property of all BIAS BELTED tires and you can also google it. also when pressure drop to 38-42 psi tire getting again standard size 200/55r17. simply measure circuit before and after. with pressure 42 psi should be circuit 84in and with pressure around 90 psi should be circuit cca 88in. so here is differe 4in. and 4in : 3.14 = 1.27in. then overall diameter of this tire should be +1.27in more compare to standard 42 psi pressure, so tire will be noticable taller.. anyone also prefer overinflating while riding nice smooth dry roads? simply 200/55r17 is tallest profile, any 200/60r17 or 200/65r17 in offer anywhere...

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
About all I can say in this thread is that I wouldn't advice anyone to run with over inflated tires. Due to the design of motorcycle tires over inflating will cause the tire to bulge out in the center which reduces tread contact area with the tarmac.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ditto. Never over inflate unless you have a death wish. Go to the Dunlop web site and check out the inflation/weight table for that tire and don't exceed it.

Inflation/Weight table

Chances are with you and a rider on the back the rear won't be even near 937 pounds.

I go to the local truck stop and weigh the bike with a full tank and me on it so I know exactly how much weight is on each wheel and inflate each tire accordingly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know.. i know.. i know.. but trust me that those advising pressures from bike or tire companies are only cheap compromises. someone got on rear wheel 500lbs, someone 900lbs and recommended pressure 42 psi cant work for both... i am heavy and on nice smooth flat dry roads at relax ride max to 50mph for me work 90psi.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,761 Posts
I run plus 21 psi rear and plus 10 on front over recommended. American Elites 200/55r17

If I am going to do dirt and gravel I run minus 5 rear and minus 5 front under recommended.

Funny other than running into other guys that raced I rarely run into people who know tire pressure is another handling adjustment. Most want to warn me of the perils... Yadda yadda. Which is not true at all.

I like the crab effect the larger tire cross section radius gives in corner handling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am find on internet that inflated diameter of this of this AE 200mm is 26.7in and x 3.14 = 84in is circuit at 42psi. can you please mesasure circuit of this tire while is inflated to your 63psi? i think you should measure around 86in if your tyre is relatively new. im using make marks every one feet with pen in the middle around tire while measure..

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Running the 200 series tire. Do no get good mileage due to their width. Keep mine close HD spec or a few pounds light. Get better overall wear. Riding 2 up pump it up to 42 psi per HD spec for my bike tire combo. Currently have Michelin Cmdr II, first rear tire, get 8K+, Dunlop's lucky to see 7K.
My own observation. Difference in tire pressure from hot to cold is 5+ psig. Im sure its much higher in hotter areas like desert, just some thing to consider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here you can see BIAS BELTED tire DURO HF918 140/70R17. mounted tire on bike is inflated only to about 36 psi and you can notice fatter looking compare to uninflated flat thread. overinflated to 90 psi looking again more fatter. this tire can be mounted in front or rear.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
here you can see BIAS BELTED tire DURO HF918 140/70R17. mounted tire on bike is inflated only to about 36 psi and you can notice fatter looking compare to uninflated flat thread. overinflated to 90 psi looking again more fatter. this tire can be mounted in front or rear.
Tire looks like a candidate for bomb disposal tech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"bbally" can you please mesasure circuit of this tire while is inflated to your 63psi? i think you should measure around 86in if your tyre is relatively new. im using make marks every one feet with pen in the middle around tire while measure.. if your tire is in the middle of life so you should measure -1in and if you are close to plies you should measure -2in from overall circuit 86in.
anyone know some tire in size 200/65-17 in offer? for 16in rim are buckets in this size but for 17in rim nothing.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,761 Posts
Yes I will measure it tomorrow and post it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if possible measure also tire width with this pressure 63psi. when you put a gauge onto tire you want first oversee and find left tire sides. when you catch left sides of the tire to be end to end in one line you adjust on gauge 0in. next you move viewpoint to right side of tire finding right sides to be in one line and you can see actual width on gauge. if possible take also some pictures, BIAS tire should be noticable taller in profile and also litle wider like i am post earlier in this topic..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts