Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 street bob. Trying to install the boss mcbk470 speakers. Research I’ve done says you don’t need the relay, you need to splice into the ignition wire near the fuse box. Has anyone done differently or know a better approach so the amp turns off when the bike does? The only wiring diagram I can find I will try to attach. I’m assuming the white/blue wire is the correct power wire.
thanks!

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
If you can find the o/w HDI wire it would be a good power source for the amp. The o/w HDI wire is usually taped to the headlight connector harness. It powers off with the ignition.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I avoid "splicing" in to a stock wiring harness at ALL costs

There should be several places to attach power wires on the KEY SWITCHED side

Without CUTTING into an ignition wire or the harness

Of course you could ADD a Circuit Breaker panel permanently for any future "TAPS" you find necessary to make = IMHO

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
IMO, the relay is the best way to power up the amp. Otherwise that HDI wire harness is a good switched power source, unless it's an HDI bike, then those wires are connected to daytime lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran it directly to my battery to a switch mounted by the right grip. It doesn't shut off with the key but it gives me the ability to easily turn it off and on in order to hear conversations at stop lights or when pulling into the neighborhood. Here is the switch I used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts