Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 07 Road Glide and it's time to change the oil. On the V-Rod I didn't really have this issue, but is 20W-50 acceptable for all three holes on the touring bikes? Amsoil specifically states that this is acceptable, but the dealership service guy says that I shouldn't put 20W-50 in the transmission, that I should use gear lube.

Anyone running 20W-50 Amsoil in all 3?

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Hey, mnerren
Glade you brought it up because I'm getting ready to do the same here and would like to hear the replies that come forward. The answers i have received have be it is OK, but we will see ahhh. Ride a 06 road king. Packaged up for winter right now.
Big "D"

·
Registered
77 Posts
The consensus I've gleaned from a few too many oil threads on different forums is to go with any good synthetic 20-50 (amsoil, mobil 1, redline, etc.) in the motor and primary, and use a good synthetic 75-90 gear oil in the trans.

I've read where people feel it just shifts better with the gear oil in the trans versus the 20-50 motor oil.

I think if you use any good oil (even dino) and change it at reasonable intervals, you'll be fine.

I use Mobil 1 20-50, and amsoil 75-90 in the trans. Bought a case of the amsoil a couple of years ago, and still have some left. When that's gone, I'll probably go to mobil 1 gear oil too, cause I can get it Walmart. I've read good things about Royal Purple and Red line. Many folks seem to swear by the Redline Shockproof Heavy for the trans.

Just my opinion, by no means expert!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

·
Registered
212 Posts
My bike has only one hole (Damned V-Rods), and it gets AMSOIL. Running temp dropped, shifting smoothed out. Clutch doesn't slip. It's all good. My airhead buddies put Amsoil in all three, and haven't had anything but praise for the performance and the fact the running temp dropped about 8 degrees makes them happy too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil Report

Okay, a few months back I was asking about putting Amsoil 20W-50 in all three holes on a 2007 Road Glide. I did go with that and it ran fine, neutral was a little hard to find and I thought I still had too much transmission noise, the shifts were clunky too. I then changed the transmission only to the Amsoil 75W-90 Gear lube and it seems to be somewhat smoother. The shifts are smoother and I can find neutral much easier now. I left the 20W-50 in primary case, didn't see any reason in touching that. I believe this is the sweet spot, so I will be going with this combo. I talked to an Amsoil rep and at a bike event and he indicated there is another gear lube, like a 80-120 that he uses in the summer time when it is really hot. I haven't tried that one yet, maybe as the temps reach 100 I will so how that one works.

So far I have no complaints about my 2007 Road Glide, well that is after I fixed the windshield problem. I had to put a clearview shield on it. It is working great, it turned out to be a little taller than I thought, but it sure does help with the wind. I have the SE slip-ons, K&N filter and PC III USB with a custom tune. It runs real nice now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
mnerren
I use the Amsoil gear oil as well and it definetly is better than 20-50 in the tranny. I believe the next thicker grade is 80-140.
07 Ultra stage 1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts