Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I could say this happened today, but there's <cough> A LOT OF THE COLOR OF WHITE OUTSIDE AT THE MOMENT. Was in Ohio on business two weeks ago and almost shocked to look out the window of the plane and see greens and browns!

So a little re-livin' of past rides helps with the PMS. In case of interest, here's one of a report on a more colorful day...

Came across some old area photos online at the public library. Without much preparation decided to go on a lunch ride today and see if I could place myself where the photographer stood. You will harshly note :) I could have been more precise, and my excuse is haste and "progress" kinda got in the way... graded roads, buildings, traffic!

Nevertheless what better way exists to consider history and the past than from the saddle of an icon of heritage. So, five sets of then and now images...

From 1920 on the road towards where I live...

And today it is Hwy 285 about 30 miles SW of Denver, looking towards the Kenosha Range in the distance. I think I should have taken the image further back and to the right. And to think I risked limb, if not life to stand here!...

In 1904, this ranch was the center of social gatherings... dances, celebrations, and most everyone in the area would travel on their horses and wagons with their best clothes for these events...

Today the ranch at Foxton Rd. no longer exists with Hwy 285 on top of the ranch house. But the barns remains. What it has seen the past 101 years...

The town of Evergreen. Couldn't find an image older than 1950...

And for me to be more precise with the image location... well, with a hidden curve behind me decided I didn't want to surprise any flying SUVs with me standing in the middle of the road...

Pastoral Dedisse Ranch in 1920...

That creek you see above (Bear Creek) wreaked havoc downstream all the time with flash floods. Problem solved. Standing on the Evergreen Lake dam...

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In 1898 Idaho Springs was a hoppin and wild place. Serious mining activity in every direction. Some photographer must have gathered the ore teams and anyone else around to stay put for a morning-before-work town picture. Even the dog stays put. Note the almost treeless hill behind. Typical back then with almost everything cut down nearby for construction...

And this is the lunch destination. If there wasn't a building (hardware store) to the right and I could have strapped a step ladder to the bike, I could have taken a better image! I'm standing on a garden tractor (for sale at the store) to get some elevation...

And finally, in front of one of my favorite lunch spots. An experience and ride only the "horse" from Milwaukee can deliver...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Steve,
You truly have the best stories/pictures. It looks like you have lived a very lucky, blessed, and fulfiilled life already!!! Thank you for all the things you share!:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks... I pass that Foxton barn regularly. Seeing everyone gathering 100 years ago for the community dance and socializing, wearing their best threads, just does something to my heart. Makes me want to make the most of life now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
OUTSTANDING post !

I always looking back into history, thanks for the excellent trip down memory lane. Amazing how things change, yet remain the same.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts