Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Former Lurker
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys (staff), a younger man (30) has a nice little 883.
His girlfriend and now
"Possible " future father-in-law are hammering him to stop riding... Too dangerous, she won't consider getting on it...
Trying to keep on two wheels.
I know he likes to ride...
Not sure how strong I should advocate for him to be a man or a meece...
His business, not mine...
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's his business, but my advice is Cowboy Up and do what you want to do. If she starts out like this, think how much more lovely for him in a few more years.

·
Registered
42,682 Posts
It's his business, but my advice is Cowboy Up and do what you want to do. If she starts out like this, think how much more lovely for him in a few more years.
:ughwerd:

·
luv the low country
20,645 Posts
Long term compatibility, is one major question in any relationship. Also is riding a real passion and part of his life style. If it is, then like any other hobby, ie golf, fishing, sky diving, watching football or any sporting event, whatever he is passionate about, is she willing to except it (and be apart of his life). IMO, its his decision, his business.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,511 Posts
Let him know there are many more of them out there. They all have the same equipment and look the same when the light is switched off.......

Ultimately he must decide.... but if this is the first thing she wants to control and "daddy" is on her side..... tell him to run......

Best way to save him is take him to the strip club... then hire a hooker. That usually breaks these things up pretty fast.

·
Registered
730 Posts
^^^^This is what I meant, bbally got to the point quicker that I did^^^

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Had a g/f a few years back. Always on my a$$ about riding. Once, while out riding with buddies, she called and asked if I'd come fix her water heater (no hot water). Left my buds, rode to her house, rang the bell and she said "I don't even know if I want you to come in dressed like that"...I was in full leathers and a doo rag. I went in, fixed the water heater and left.....never to return. She called for like a month and even came over. I wouldn't answer the door.

Glad that was over. She did give good he*d, however.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Daddy and his little princess should be told to fly a kite. This is a prelude to a bleak future dynamic.

She gets him to do this and all bets are off, plus, he may grow to resent her (assuming riding is a passion).

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's not fair of her/her father to ask him to quit riding,no body is telling her she has to ride.That would be asking the rest of us to quit breathing----NOT HAPPENING----but he should be able to see this on his own. If he can't I would tell him how I felt and then let it go,once you have the itch it really never goes away.

·
Former Lurker
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If her and Daddy are like this now, I can hardly imagine what it would be like married and with a kid.
I think he should run for the hills...
Daddy is a first rate *******, I have met him at a couple of BBQ's...
I really like the guy and truly think she will be a shrew as she ages.
Wife thinks I should stay out of it. Hard to argue with...

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
OK, you asked for opinions. Never hurts to tell a friend what you think, but after giving advice it is his decision to make--if he hasn't already made it.

Two big decisions for him. First, how bad does he want to ride? Second, how bad does he want to keep her AND HER DADDY?

And I wonder what else she or DADDY might want him to do or to give up in the future.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,053 Posts
Sounds so much like my LAST (in so many ways) wife. Tell your buddy you don't understand why he hasn't left this situation a Long Long time ago. She wants to change him now....wait until the ink starts drying on that marriage license.....she'll want a lot more change than she is seeking now. And of course there is always going to be "daddy's input".
Too many fish in the sea, and it's a very large sea.

·
CRSO
348 Posts
If motorcycles were a 'pre-existing condition', it's something she should accept, if not embrace. In a way, motorcycling (at least in part) might have made him who he is...

I've been married for 31 years now, and my wife knew I was into motorcycles before we met. A few years after we married she got her endorsement and her first street bike.

We've been riding together ever since,and I wouldn't trade her in for anything!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
mens magazine says men that ride motorcycles make excellent husbands and fathers tend to be more responsible, more loving, level headed, less likely to cheat. money magazine says listing motorcycle as a hobby on resume is a plus - indicates you can troubleshoot, work well in a group or as an individual. is very reliable, less likely to have medical problems or trouble at home that would contribute to poor work performance. it is her loss!

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
100% his call.
He needs to decide which is more important to him. 2 wheels and the wind....or her.

I never cared if the woman I was with rode or not. As long as they knew it was a part of my life. And non-negotiable.

I went through a lot of women when I had my Shovel. A few more with my FLHT. Unknown with T~S. But my GF now rides her own Dyna. So do not see it being a problem.
Have been with way more women then bikes. And it had nothing to do with the cost of either of them. Just sayin.....

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
One of my guys (staff), a younger man (30) has a nice little 883.
His girlfriend and now
"Possible " future father-in-law are hammering him to stop riding... Too dangerous, she won't consider getting on it...
Trying to keep on two wheels.
I know he likes to ride...
Not sure how strong I should advocate for him to be a man or a meece...
His business, not mine...
What do you guys think?
I am known to be a blunt, politically incorrect person, I say what I have to say without using cute or sugar coating words. Please pass this message from me.

First, have him join this forum, plenty of good fun loving folks with lots of knowledge.

Second, she is trying to command him now, big, huge No No! She is trying to do this pre marriage, imagine post marriage! By now I would be looking to break it up!

Second, why the [email protected](k is daddy doing getting in the picture, sticking his stupid azz nose in those business. At this time definitely not looking to break it up, but telling them both to pack a effing lunch, it's Over!

If they can't accept the package as it comes, nothing will matter. He will be fooked and will be a puppet, then thrown away.

She wants ABSOLUTE CONTROL, and has daddy getting in the relationship and back her up. This will happen over and over again, not once. Next, dad will move in or make him move close to home.

Like my friend Ron61 said to me one time about a situation involving a friend, she wants him to lose his identity. By the time he realizes this, it will be too late, and we can see she has no TRUST on him whatsoever.

Give him this message to read.

Tell him there are other women that will love and accept him for who he is and what he does, he don't need this chit!

Ron

1 - 20 of 83 Posts