Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us know that riding is a lifestyle but sometimes the women in our lives just don't get it. At first my wife kinda nagged me about riding with the guys because I was deploying alot and wasn't home much. Also because the long deployments created some mechanical issues from the bike sitting for months at a time.

Anyhow, I have been home consistently for a few years and my friends are now her friends and she gets it now. I was on the fence about getting a new bike and she actually talked me into because she understands now. She still doesn't understand the gun collection, but hey, I will take what I can get.

Looking forward to hearing about other people and their challenges with intergrating their sleds and women.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
My wife was having the same issues last year when I was riding almost every weekend then I talked her into going on a few rides toward the end of summer. Now she knows and accepts that I will be riding almost every weekend this summer and does not have a problem with it as long as she is able to go on some of the rides and that I spend some time with the kids........she also accepts and understands my gun collection too.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
My wife encouraged me for 20 years to get my 5th bike (sold #4 33 years prior). So I sold my boat to pay for the new Harley. She woke me up an hour early on the day we went to pick it up by playing "Born to Be Free" by Steppin Wolf on her cell phone.

She wanted me to have the extra hour of anticipation.

Unfortunately her tailbone cant handle more than 45 min or an hour at a time, so she doesn't ride with me very often. One of the features of the Heritage is the big passenger seat, but it still hurts.

She always pushes me out the door when I have a little time in my schedule to go ride. I hope she doesn't have an ulterior motive. . . . .

She also reminds me when I don't grab my gun before leaving the house. (I taught her to shoot and she does very well).

This one is a definite keeper!

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Actually, when the lady i was kinda sorta dating for 6 months, told me and I quote, " you look so good on that Harley in Pigeon forge, why don't you trade the honda in on it, and I'll help yah pay for it. " kinda told me I need to fond a ring and fast, that was back in 2009 and we are on our second ultra, and getting married in June. She also likes the guns, ahoots with me and has bought me 2 since we started dating. So I think I am set....

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
congrats on the upcoming nuptials. Don't let her get away

·
Banned
482 Posts
Wife number 1 would not ride with me so I've ridden solo all along. But I guess number 1 decided she liked riding someone else along the way so could never forgive or forget. Now with wife number 2, she would ride along at the drop of a hat. We met at work and latter moved in together so she rode every morning(falling asleep back there) and afternoon. One day she suggested we go look at a Harley. She said now that's a bike that fits you. A brand spankin new 1985 Electra Glide was ridden home that very day. So I'd say I have a keeper for sure. Side benefit is she doesn't care for rug rats any more than I do. No interruptions if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bought a BSA 650 Lightning in 1972 while in El Paso Texas finishing up my training at Ft. Bliss. Jar Head at Army school.
Rode it out to Barstow Calif. my first duty station. After getting there it wasn't running quite right so had to take it to Victorville to get the top end rebuilt.
Met a nice girl (fellow Marine) and started dating. After a couple of weeks we were to meet at the E Club on Saturday morning about 0900.
Got a call that the BSA was ready to pick up, so I told her I would be late, about 1000 or 1030.
Got there and parked out in front of the E Club and went in and started talking with her and asked if she wanted to go for a ride on my motorcycle.

She said "No I don't ride motorcycles". I asked why not and she said she had ridden on one with a guy in High School and they wrecked and she didn't want to risk getting in another motorcycle accident.

I told here she just needed to ride with an experienced rider and that I would start riding with her out in the boonies away from any traffic until she got comfortable and then we would travel into the rural areas until she was ready to venture into town.

Took a couple of weeks for her to be ready to start riding around town.

Got married July 15, 1972. Bought a new Sportster (first HD) in winter of 74 after our son was born. We all rode the Sportster around Fresno Calif. no helmets, baby in her arms and me driving. Many trips to Yosemite.

Now we have our 4th (2009 Tri-Glide 36,542 miles) & 5th (2010 EGUC 18,134 miles) HD's, and one hell of a lot of miles under our buns, and our son bought his first HD in either Jan or Feb.

Monday we are riding with him up to Phoenix to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch.

And I taught her how to shoot, and she is an excellent shot.

41 years coming up in July, definitely a keeper.

·
Super Moderator
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, congrats on the longevity! I have only been married 7 years. It was comical because she was fine with me taking her out but my bike wasn't. It ran fine but when she would come over I swear the bike got an attitude.

Still don't think I could bring myself to mount up with the baby though. He is 5 months old and I have too many close calls with distracted drivers. My wife actually got her own bike for a few months but blew out her knee in a crash. She has no interest in riding again but better understands why I do. I do miss it being an "us" thing though.

And I have had her to the range a few times and she is actually really good with the pistol but she still against guns in the house and concealed carrying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is an old saying "A Happy Wife is a Happy Life" and that is so true, I have a very understanding supportive Wife. Since 2010 I have been in Afghanistan for over 2 years now and getting some R&R now and then.

I recently purchased a new 2013 V Rod muscle while I am over here, and my loving Wife has since bought us new helmets, leather jackets and a cover for my bike. She even went in and paid it off for me and arranged to have it delivered and put in the garage waiting for me. You gotta love a great woman like that, and I know she will get my undivided attention when I get home in a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well stay safe out there! I spent some time in Bastion in 2009-2010. Takes an even stronger woman to put up with those trips!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Good for you. It makes it even better with the Mrs around. I too am blessed.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Unfortunately her tailbone cant handle more than 45 min or an hour at a time, so she doesn't ride with me very often. One of the features of the Heritage is the big passenger seat, but it still hurts.
My 5/8 is the same way. She has a bad leg from a car accident a few decades ago, and hip problems and such. She didn't like it so much at first, had to stop about every 30 minutes or so, but the affects would accumulate so we really couldn't go more than about 60 miles from home and even then she was in quite a bit of discomfort by the time we got home.

I got a memory foam pillow and covered it in leather and strap it to the pillion seat when she rides with me. Now she rides much more than she used to. She can go about 60 minutes before having to stop. She likes the pillow thing, not only is it easier on her, she sits up higher.

She has, however, fully embraced my love of motorcycling. So much so that when a couple of friends talked about a ride to Colorado this summer, she offered up "why don't you go with them?" I was quite shocked. But of course, she'd had a few Jesse James whiskeys in her and I thought it might be the booze talking. But when the next day, and in subsequent days she was still on board for a guy's motorcycle trip to the majestic Rocky Mountains, I figured "why should I argue with the ol' lady?"

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
My wife doesn't understand the bike, guns, hunting, fishing or much of anything I do. She doesn't need to it's who I am and that seems to be good enough for her,(although she does like to come fishing with me, I fish she reads a magazine).

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
My wife doesn't get bikes or guns. I think she likes that about me but doesn't understand why. She likes that I'm my own man and it annoys her at the same time. :dunno

JPR, careful with that gun in Comminois. Less than a month before conceal and carry!

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I guess I'm very blessed with my wife, she rides with me and we just bought her a Honda CRF 230m to learn on, when she's ready I'm supposed to get a new bike and she's going to ride my Fat Bob.

She likes guns, fishing and all the rest too. :D

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I guess I'm very blessed with my wife, she rides with me and we just bought her a Honda CRF 230m to learn on, when she's ready I'm supposed to get a new bike and she's going to ride my Fat Bob.

She likes guns, fishing and all the rest too. :D
yeah but is she going to ride a motorcycle too when she's ready?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts