Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second time riding the winding mountain roads in Greenwood Lake on 17A in NY. I am from South Jersey and we don't have such up and down hills and winding road as much.

Last time, we (7 Harley) was passed by a Ducati rider on the Palisades Pkwy in the same lane which got me real nervous so I asked a question about "Proper Passing Etiquette" in this forum.

This time, we were on Rt. 17A in the mountain enjoying the winding roads. We were at speed limits (35~40) at all times but a BMW enduro bike (silver saddle bag thingy) passed each one of us on sharp curved roads created a rather hazard condition. One of us maintained the middle section of the road without seeing him behind and this guy still passed us riding on yellow line when cars were coming from opposite direction.

WTF is the hurry? Or he just wanted to show off his bike or his riding skills or what? I likes the roads in NY but not riders likes this up there.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Guys like that don't have much for brains.

·
Banned
853 Posts
That guy sounds like a douche. You should never pass like that.

However, it's proper etiquette to stay a bit to the right if you're slower. Give the faster guys room to pass. You guys probably didn't need to be hogging the whole road. Especially on "twistys"! Because the fun of a ride like that, when you're on a street bike, is going fast and leaning into a turn with your knee down.

That said, I'll repeat that the Duck rider sounds like a tool. There are cool, courteous, smart, safe ways to pass and there are douchey, annoying, dangerous ways to pass. Seems like he chose the latter. Probably has a small dick.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
That guy sounds like a douche. You should never pass like that.

However, it's proper etiquette to stay a bit to the right if you're slower. Give the faster guys room to pass. You guys probably didn't need to be hogging the whole road. Especially on "twistys"! Because the fun of a ride like that, when you're on a street bike, is going fast and leaning into a turn with your knee down.

That said, I'll repeat that the Duck rider sounds like a tool. There are cool, courteous, smart, safe ways to pass and there are douchey, annoying, dangerous ways to pass. Seems like he chose the latter. Probably has a small dick.

I can't add to this. Great post.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had some little twenty something punk with his little anorexic bimbo on a crotchety rocket blast past me cutting through traffic just to slam on the breaks to make a left turn. I pulled up along side of him and told him when he is all wadded up under a cager I would happily whizz on his slowly dying body! Then rode away. Jerk!

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I can't add to this. Great post.
I can

No amount of fun (and spirited sport bike riding is a ton of fun) is worth putting anyone else in danger.

Even as a young irresponsible arrogant sportbike rider, I never put anyone other than myself in harms way.

I am sure if that guy had slowed down, fallen in behind the pack, and waited, a much more appropriate time to pass would have presented itself.

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
'tis the season. The roads are clean and rife with new riders, weekend warriors, and those who feel the burning desire to show off their new equipment at the first sign of spring.

I live in the lower Hudson Valley and know that area well. 17a, the goat path, and the Bear Mountain Parkway and extension are notorious for those types of shenanigans, particularly on the weekends. Every year there are spectacular accidents, almost always involving someone from the city who came up to wring out his Ducati. Gives me chills when I see those guys passing in the oncoming lanes on turns.

Be careful out there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Idiots. There are quite a healthy number of 'em out there.

I was driving back from Fayetteville on Saturday and as we got closer to Houston and into some good traffic, a massive douchefat on a Street Glide was hauling ass weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc, etc. No helmet, either. I will refrain from expressing what I thought about that absolute, complete genius. He was riding as if he were on a crotch rocket. Pretty sure his bike will be parted out one day soon. And his dumb little acorn carrying head will be smeared across the highway like a squirrel that's been run over sixty-five times.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I can

No amount of fun (and spirited sport bike riding is a ton of fun) is worth putting anyone else in danger.

Even as a young irresponsible arrogant sportbike rider, I never put anyone other than myself in harms way.

I am sure if that guy had slowed down, fallen in behind the pack, and waited, a much more appropriate time to pass would have presented itself.
I thought that was covered in the "small weiner" part of the post.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Just because your riding a hog on the road doesn't mean you can be a road hog. Watch your mirrors and if you see someone roll up on you in your mirrors... get out of the way.

It's not about safety, speeding, law, or the rush, it's about being aware of your surroundings at all times. If someone looks like they're stupid or about do something stupid, give them all the room you can. What you think or say has no value to them.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,664 Posts
I have both an FTSTFB and an 03 VRSCA.

I don't have enough information to know if the guy was being an idiot.

How long was he following your group before he started passing? If he just blew up on you and started passing then I will be standing right there to pissss on his body when he makes impact with a front end coming the opposite way.

But if you are rolling along totally obvious to what is going on behind you and he was trapped for a while with no one waving him around I would say your group needs help being safe.

I cannot tell you how many times I have rolled up on the VRSCA to a set of rolling lounge chairs and stayed behind on the twisties for 10 to 15 minutes with everyone seeing I am faster in their mirrors but no one giving the courtesy wave around so I can get by them. I drop two and GOOOOOOO by all. But I am sure most of them figure they just got passed by an asssshooolllee (and they are mostly right) when they are the ones with a lack of understanding of what to do in that situation.

Whether I speed or not is my choice. If I am on the VRSCA I am probably out opening up some throttle bodies and rolling. Wave me by and we are all safe, don't and I will get around so I can ride the way I want to ride the road. It will be safe, but it might make a newbie wet his self.

When I am on the FLSTFB I wave lots of other bikes by me. I understand the way they want to ride and don't expect them to ride like I do when cruising at or below the speed limit.

Word to the wise is; you can control the safety of a situation by understanding the style of riding coming up from behind and setting them up for a safe waved on pass in the two tracks of one lane. By proactively getting those faster riding styles by you safely and controlled. Never have had someone I am waving by do something stupid, they just go on getting their miles they style they wish too.

Of course I am a left over from the two side by side, gear dragging in the corners, days of the 70's so double bikes in a single lane does not freak me out.

·
Banned
482 Posts
Back in California there is a road they call Skyline Drive. Good scenic twisty road. I had always heard it was good for motorcycle accidents. So sure enough the one time venture out on that road these crotch rockets came sailing around me like I was sitting still. I though sure as heck one of them would have a wreck. About five miles latter I come onto a bunch of plastic in the road and there was three of them piled up on the side of the road. They was standing around checking everything out and look like no one was seriously hurt so I honked and waved as I tooled by. Jerks!

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I ride fast,lane split and pass civilians in there lane get over it! Riding is sometimes about the thrill of doing dangerous stupid stuff! Ya wanna live forever or have a good time while you're here? I've even been know to pass on the shoulder at speed,helmets suck! Before ya go to the old bold thing I am a senior citizen and yes some consider me to be an :asshat fug it let's ride!!!!!!!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I ride fast,lane split and pass civilians in there lane get over it! Riding is sometimes about the thrill of doing dangerous stupid stuff! Ya wanna live forever or have a good time while you're here? I've even been know to pass on the shoulder at speed,helmets suck! Before ya go to the old bold thing I am a senior citizen and yes some consider me to be an :asshat fug it let's ride!!!!!!!
I see your point and totally understand and appreciate it, but when that puts others in danger.....

People forget that a motorcycle hitting a car at high speed does a hell of a lot to the car too!

Also, it just makes people look down on motorcycles and that is the last thing we need!

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
dynaglydr and bbally,,,, good posts

Junster, believe that this very similar to one of your previous post and I agree that it is very unnerving to have this happen. Just consider what your group is doing that may be possibly contributing to this type of event. Yes the biker that pass you is a jerk

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I see your point and totally understand and appreciate it, but when that puts others in danger.....

People forget that a motorcycle hitting a car at high speed does a hell of a lot to the car too!

Also, it just makes people look down on motorcycles and that is the last thing we need!

Fixed that for ya. I tend to agree with you my moves are all well planned not that something can't go wrong. Sometimes ya need to shake people up thou so they remember that they're not the only ones using the road. Ride On

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was on Rt. 17A just after the famous biker bar called Emerald. We were in 4 packs 2 harleys, a Suzuki and a Gold Wing. We were also stuck behind of a car actually that was just about doing the speed limit. Our road captain will dare anyone to pass a car in twisties like this with several blind spots. (Double yellow all the way) Since this is a scenic route, cars were also in no hurry to make that 35 mph turns.

I did give him some room to pass on by me since I saw him. I am not sure people in front of me saw him coming. Roads were way too narrow for my skills to keep or just go over the speed limit to maintain my bike only one side of the lane. I found myself needing the entire lane to make the turn wider for my lowered Street Glide so that I don't have to scrape the foot peg every time. Besides, roads had pot holes and ruts every where after a long freezing winter. I hate the sound of metal parts of my bike contacting the pavement. 8(

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts

Fixed that for ya. I tend to agree with you my moves are all well planned not that something can't go wrong. Sometimes ya need to shake people up thou so they remember that they're not the only ones using the road. Ride On
This is the most important thing you typed. It is also what separates you and most of us from the people we've been talking about.

QUOTE=moose49;923882]my moves are all well planned[/QUOTE]

Indeed, fug it, lets ride.

That is if you'll ride with yuppie scum. ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.