Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Friday I am going to see my brother 100 miles away.. Got on the freeway set cruise at 75 threw my feet on the cruising pegs and away i go. 30 miles down the road i start catching up to a car. so i slowed down there was a car on his right. I always ride the center line as so i have different ways out if need be. well there was a car behing in the right lane about two car lengths back. what I did not know or see was that there were two cars infront of me not one. all of a sudden the guy infront of me dynamited his breaks because the guy infront of him slams his brakes on to make an illegal u turn thru the median to go east instead of west and i grab the front break to slow down and ride the center line. the guy infront of me veers to the left a little and the guy behind us in the right lane catches up and I am sitting between two cars... going about 50 miles an hour. if i would have been riding the left side of the lane i woulda rearended the guy or veered to the left and t boned the dumb [email protected]@ who made the illegal u turn.. ok so i pulled over and smoked a swisher and pull the leather outa my [email protected]@.... ok i am good until sunday. riding around town and a guy is in the left lane traveling slow so i use my signal go to the right lane and start to pass him. He then he decides to merge into my lane right when i am at his back corner. I always pay attention when i do this just becase.. well i slowed and let him in and then gave him the bird.. Yes people we have to be the observant ones out there because usually they are not... Safe riding my friends

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Yeah, that'll stripe the briefs... Glad it didn't result in a crash!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
That's why they are called briefs, because it only takes a brief moment to scar them for life.:eek:laugh

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
...and, therefore, ownership thereof is... brief... [Insert rimshot here]

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
what I did not know or see was that there were two cars infront of me not one.

riding around town and a guy is in the left lane traveling slow so i use my signal go to the right lane and start to pass him. He then he decides to merge into my lane right when i am at his back corner. I always pay attention when i do this just becase.. well i slowed and let him in and then gave him the bird..
1st encounter:

I gotta ask,,how could you not see the second car out front??
Were you following so close you could not see ahead of the car
that was right Infront of you ?
Or see Through the first cars windshield ??
or not moving about scanning ahead??

2nd encounter:

Did you ever see him look in the mirror,,before his lane change
and before your attempt did you consider doing anything other than the
signal to get His attention ?? Was your Hi-beam on ?
Did you crack a quick throttle up ?
Were you running too tight ?

I guess what I'm getting at, was there anything In afterthought
you think you could have done extra ?

I know lots of cagers are stupid and all But I'm always seeking an edge,,,

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Man, Roadblock happy you're OK brother must have been the best smoke ever... But please throw out these underwears of yours... Old skidmarks aren't appealing to women, LOL !!!:whoa:laugh:whoa

Neither are the new ones brother. :rollin

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st encounter:

I gotta ask,,how could you not see the second car out front??
Were you following so close you could not see ahead of the car
that was right Infront of you ?
Or see Through the first cars windshield ??
or not moving about scanning ahead??

2nd encounter:

Did you ever see him look in the mirror,,before his lane change
and before your attempt did you consider doing anything other than the
signal to get His attention ?? Was your Hi-beam on ?
Did you crack a quick throttle up ?
Were you running too tight ?

I guess what I'm getting at, was there anything In afterthought
you think you could have done extra ?

I know lots of cagers are stupid and all But I'm always seeking an edge,,,
1ST encounter. WOW hmmm no i did not see thru the window hmmm damn good question... tried playing back in my head and no did not see the car.. I know the car in front was one of those little jap tuner cars and the car behing was full size... other than that no excuse...
Ok Second encounter played it by the book. He was in fast lane and I made sure he saw me in his rearview or sideview i switched back and forth for about a mile and a half.. I signaled to go into right hand lane made the switch and stayed there for a few so as to hope he would see me.... Then when i throttled up and got to his back corner he turned then signaled... I braked and he merged right infront of me.. Then when i passed him on the left.. I got right along side him and he would not even look at me... he knew i was there..but he would not even look at me.....

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Ok that first encounter,,thanks for the extra feedback,,I will watch for that better now.

I hear ya,,yeah that second encounter,,real azzhat..

Thats one of the reasons I pack a weapon, It keeps me from pulling up along side and
possibly escalating things.
Thats the hardest part of an azzhat encounter, keeping a cool head and moving away.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad you are good to go. I bet we will all see more acting like a fool before it is all over. Some times I see the right decision after. Hind-sight is 20/20. Can I learn from it?

I ride in Houston in all weather most days. The traffic monster is insane. I see stupidity every day. I think my driving is sometimes aggressive and sometimes defensive. How can I make the bike respond in a critical situation?

For the second incident, I have learned to almost feel what the driver is going to do. Nothing surprises me. I see a car up ahead kind of flinching a little and I give him room. I stay away from their blind spot around the tail of the vehicle always. A little aggressive posturing makes them take notice when I do start to come around. Of course, a finger or helmet shake when stupid dribbles out happens helps me at least.

For the first incident, I wasn't there, but quick reflexes and looking for everything around you is life saving. Great job. For me, I try not to put myself in a situation where there are unknowns. It kind of like a stale green light. If I did not see the light turn green, I don't know when it will turn. Power off and get defensive.

Knowledge and experience really help. Again, be safe, and have as much fun as the laws of physics allows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts