Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try and ride every couple of days if not everyday. It is a bit tough here in Fl. with the weather we have. But today I reached one of my personal milestones..
Since I am new to the cruiser street bikes I set small goals or challenges for my self. I have ridden in the neighborhood, to the other side of town in the rain (now that was a milestone for sure). Last weekend I even went for a several hour trip with some neighbors down south of me on some back roads.
Today i made one of the big ones. Since I bought the bike last month had set a goal to ride to Brandon Fl where my HD dealer is. It is only a 45 min ride but in some heavier traffic than I have ridden before.
I got up and headed out early to minimize traffic and and the high temps.
It was perfect this morning and a beautiful ride. Made it in good time hung out for a while had a coke and said my hellos to the crew and headed back to the house.
What a great ride.
So what should I set for my next milestone ?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,456 Posts
Don't push too hard if you're just starting out. Small steps and build your ability through experience and confidence. Since you're in Florida, try a ride to the keys and do an overnighter.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Don't push too hard if you're just starting out. Small steps and build your ability through experience and confidence. Since you're in Florida, try a ride to the keys and do an overnighter.
That would definitely be cool. Wife an I flew to Miami and rented a cage, (camero convertible) to drive to the keys. Big mistake. Hwy 1 was a bitch. Took over 5 hours to drive to Key West because of the one lane and traffic. Bikers were passing on the right and getting on down the road. Ain't going back, but if I did, I would rent a bike instead of a cage to get to Key West and just carry a tenth of what we had carried for the trip.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Find some back roads, two lane highways and just cruise for a bit. Then stop and take a break, have a coke and a smile. Then repeat. and before you know if you've rode all day and put on about 300 or so miles.

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Ride to destination Daytona , Daytona beach or cocoa beach. Fort Meyer's beach or Naples on the west coast. St.Petersburg, pass a grille, Indian rocks, Maderia, Clearwater, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs. If you can't find somewhere to ride, try dealership hopping. That's what's great about Florida. Been up and down both coasts and all thru the middle. Get a map out and choose your own ride.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Find some back roads, two lane highways and just cruise for a bit. Then stop and take a break, have a coke and a smile. Then repeat. and before you know if you've rode all day and put on about 300 or so miles.
Perfect recipe. Hook up with some current or new friends and make a day of doing nothing but soda hopping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got another one today. Neighbor and I headed up 33 and took the scenic route through the green swamp area and ended up at a great little restaurant (The Red Wing) for breakfast just outside Groveland Fl. Beautiful Fl countryside and perfect morning run. Ive now got just over 600 miles on the Fatboy.
Just need a more comfortable seat ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know how you feel. I just rolled over 1K and yesterday took my Road King in for the 1K service.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Back roads help you get to know your baby more with less distractions from traffic. But do be careful of the wildlife out there. Ride safe...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh forgot to mention another milestone (speaking of wildlife SoftailBilly) I got hit square in the mouth by the biggest dragonfly luckily mouth was closed...

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Oh forgot to mention another milestone (speaking of wildlife SoftailBilly) I got hit square in the mouth by the biggest dragonfly luckily mouth was closed...
Old saying: Happy biker has bugs on his teeth...........:eek

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,456 Posts
Night bugs taste best!:)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I hit two big bugs within an hour of each other on my trip to Palestine, TX back in July. Both hit my forehead and glasses and immediately after each one I smelled crap. I mean literally smelled like someone took a dump on my forehead. Not to mention they didn't feel too good. Somehow they managed to slip right over my windshield and get me. But yeah, dragonflies and butterflies usually make the biggest mess on my face. And like the others said, take your time and get to know your bike. Definitely watch out for critters, 4 and 2 legged. The ones with 6 or more you just have to deal with. Usually can't see them coming anyway. :thumbsup

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
I try and ride every couple of days if not everyday. It is a bit tough here in Fl. with the weather we have. But today I reached one of my personal milestones..

Since I am new to the cruiser street bikes I set small goals or challenges for my self. I have ridden in the neighborhood, to the other side of town in the rain (now that was a milestone for sure). Last weekend I even went for a several hour trip with some neighbors down south of me on some back roads.

Today i made one of the big ones. Since I bought the bike last month had set a goal to ride to Brandon Fl where my HD dealer is. It is only a 45 min ride but in some heavier traffic than I have ridden before.

I got up and headed out early to minimize traffic and and the high temps.

It was perfect this morning and a beautiful ride. Made it in good time hung out for a while had a coke and said my hellos to the crew and headed back to the house.

What a great ride.

So what should I set for my next milestone ?

Awesome! Put together those small milestones and the next thing you know you're on your way to becoming a veteran rider.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
I hit two big bugs within an hour of each other on my trip to Palestine, TX back in July. Both hit my forehead and glasses and immediately after each one I smelled crap. I mean literally smelled like someone took a dump on my forehead. Not to mention they didn't feel too good. Somehow they managed to slip right over my windshield and get me. But yeah, dragonflies and butterflies usually make the biggest mess on my face. And like the others said, take your time and get to know your bike. Definitely watch out for critters, 4 and 2 legged. The ones with 6 or more you just have to deal with. Usually can't see them coming anyway. :thumbsup
Might be a sign to get helmet with a face shield just my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts