Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm not much of a forum person! I'm interested in information and such. I currently own a 1984 FLHS dah! I've owned numerous HD's in the past and have logged over 75,000 on the '84 FLHS. rebuilt it from the ground up in 2001.Great machine. I just picked up an '09 FLHX :Dand, all I can say is what a ride. However, I already have to ask any 09 FLHX owners if you are experiencing the rear shocks bottoming out? Went to the dealer the other day and told them the issue and they said that I had too much air in the shocks. The manual calls for 40 -50 psi for 2 up. The guy at the shop said that was way too much even though that is what HD specifies?? back again today and the service manager remembered me and said that he just got another call from a customer with the same problem on an 09 FLHX. They are going to get back with me. Anyone else? I know for the new guy I sure talk alot!!
Talk to yunz soon!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Welcome. I'm not a FL guy so I can't help you there.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
07 book says 40-50 psi for max GVWR, rider with passenger over 150 pds, 25-35psi. Gotta ask, sure you havnt over inflated and just gone rigid?

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vlade, bought the $46 air pump and have tried all ranges. No matter what psi it seems to bottom. It even feels like this solo with 10 psi. Thanks for your input.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Wonder if they forgot to put oil in em? jammed bladders? Havent heard if 09 shocks are any different than earlier models. Suppoes they might be with the increase in load capabilities

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked the service manager about the oil and he said that's not likely. The PN# for the 09 is different from the 08. The service manager did say that he had another call. Fact is it was the 2nd 09 FLHX sold at this dealer. Mine was the first. I'm betting this will be an issue with more. waiting to hear back from him as we speak.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Looking at my manual for 07 touring, the shocks are not repairable if it holds true for 09s, means they owe you a new set under the standard waruntee. I'd tell em to just replace em and see what happens. Dont think their needs to be a long lengthy investigation and a bunch of "I;ll get back to ya"'s. by the dealers.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Welcome to our lil' corner of the Internet! Shovels rock.

As for the '09 baggers, there have been numerous comments (complaints?) that the FRONT suspension is much too stiff... I'll check with my 'source' tonight and see what he says about the rear.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the feed back! I'm sure the dealer will correct the problem because I'll make sure of that! I ordered the front lowering kit when I bought the bike and it's not available until Sept 15 from what they tell me. This may be the cure? Don't know! It just bugs me that they haven't even taken it for a test ride to see for themselves.
Thanks again all.:confused:

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well with a little patience I figured it out myself. I started at 10 psi in the rear shocks and increased by 2 psi until I reached 28 psi solo with gear. I icreased up to 50 psi with passenger and the bottoming out went away. Don't listen when someone tells you that 40-50 psi is TOO much. That's why HD printed it in the manual!! Thanks agin for all the feedback;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2009 serg (lowerd shocks come on the bike) bottoms out all the time. I went to my dealer he said "no one else has complained but you" Last hog meeting they sent a "salesman" (shmuck) to say oh yea some of the 09s are riding a"little rough" and some people are putting 45=50 lbs in shocks to compinsate and the shocks are blowing, so try to lower the air in shocks or drop tire pressure 2 lbs, what a crock if you dont keep the pressure up there every bump, road strip will go right thru you.Im leaving on a 4 day trip(first on this bike) shocks set at 45 see what happens, I havent read anything about correcting the problem.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Welcome from Hamilton, Ontario.

·
Banned
5,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I remember a few months back a long discussion on this. you might get some more info on it on the search fuction.

·
_-FEARLESS-_
3,893 Posts
Welcome :thumb

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from Central VA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts