Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Harleys, but last year a friend sold me his 2009 XR1200. I've been riding BMWs for thirty years, but I got used to the XR pretty quick.

Recently a 1989 Softail followed me home, and I just had to keep her. The previous owner bought her new at Dudley Perkins in San Francisco in 1988, and put every possible upgrade on her over the years. He was not a rider though, and the bike only has about 20K miles. I can live with that.

This looks like a great forum, I'm going to be reading a lot and asking a few dumb questions.

Water Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
Looks like a matched set. 👍

Reactions: ranbush

·
Registered
3 Posts
My story is similar too, but you're way ahead of me..... lol

Still got my Aprilia RSV Mille in the garage, hankering after a Harley...... just not sure which one yet!

Your bikes look cool

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm new to Harleys, but last year a friend sold me his 2009 XR1200. I've been riding BMWs for thirty years, but I got used to the XR pretty quick.

Recently a 1989 Softail followed me home, and I just had to keep her. The previous owner bought her new at Dudley Perkins in San Francisco in 1988, and put every possible upgrade on her over the years. He was not a rider though, and the bike only has about 20K miles. I can live with that.

This looks like a great forum, I'm going to be reading a lot and asking a few dumb questions.

View attachment 813480

View attachment 813481
Nice welcome glad you pulled the trigger nice deal on that one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love knowing the full story on an old bike. Makes it more valuable to me.
Yep Boog, I've never bought a new bike and having service records and the bike's history is VERY important to me. All the BMW's I've owned came with at least a paper file of all major service, work orders, change of ownership, etc. Some of them had an Excel spreadsheet with all the service history. Seems like most BMW riders are compulsive about record keeping.

I've known the XR's previous owner since before he bought the XR in 2009, and he kept all his records.

I got lucky with the Softail, I learned of it through word-of-mouth, friend-to-friend. I went over to see the bike, talked to the previous owner for an hour, he fired it up. I didn't even test ride the bike, didn't haggle over price, I just asked him how he wanted payment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts