Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im kevin, 19 from kansas city. i dont currently own a harley but plan to sometime next year. im not entirely new to riding though. my first bike was a 1979 kawasaki KZ1000ST. perfect bike to learn on lol, fastest bike out 30 years ago and it kept up with my friends gsxr 600. but i fell in love with riding and now im lookin for an old harley to turn into a bobber eventually. im not much for the decked out cruisers or so much chrome its like u stared into the sun, but i love the sound and the nostalgia that comes with a harley. well theres my introduction lol, if anyone has any tips on a good bike to look for or tips in general id really appreciate it.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Welcome you might like the Nightster

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Probably used sportster 883 google local dealers in your area

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

If You would happen to find an older Harley it would most likely be over 4000 bucks not running and needing a lot of work.More like around 5 to 6000 or more.Add in rebuilding the engine,Clutch,primary and anything else that may need fixing and You will have 8 to 10,000 into it or more again already.
An 883 would be Your best bet.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
You never know. You might find that perfect deal. It seems to happen to everybody else except me. :D

:welcome

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome. Your cheapest way out is with an older 883 like the other fellas said. Get that degree and you could have a garage full of Harleys one day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there was a real nice 85 ironhead rat bobber about 40 miles from here for $5500 but i cant afford it until i sell my car, plus its the wrong season to buy a motorcycle especially when i have nowhere to store it. but yeah i know the old ones are gettin up there, i saw a basket case 48 panhead goin at auction for 8g and the bidding wasnt over. the nightster looks pretty good to me.

just from watching harleys on the road it looks like theyre set up and operate a little different than the kawasaki i had. i could only start it in neutral and holding the clutch but ive seen/heard of harleys starting in first gear and no clutch.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Welcome and keep looking around. I looked for what seemed to be an eternity - 6 weeks - and found my 2000 Sportster 1200XL Custom with 18,000 miles on it. But the guy had put a lot of chrome on it - added a stage 1 Screaming Eagle package - and it cost me $3200. So the deals are out there. Sadly especially now, with the economy, you may find a great deal. Welcome and hope you find your Harley soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts