Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ultra Glide Standard with tour pack fiull backrest
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had fun this week. Believe I finally found the source of my noisy engine.

Bought my 07 FLSTC used with just 2k miles on it a couple of years ago, and it's been developing a noisy sound from the lower front of engine/primary.

I hope this story helps someone else resolve a similar issue...

The bike always starts and runs very well. Let me try and describe the sound it makes.

As soon as I start the bike, It has a sshhhh sound, kind of a whooshing sound. It gets louder as I rev the engine.
It's not really loud, in fact starting the bike inside the garage with the door down, it's kind of hard to hear with the exhaust echoing off the walls. Sometimes I tell myself it's "normal", but it's so much louder than any of my friend's bikes, and I really wanted to get it fixed. I have stock exhaust and windshield which may make it even more noticeable.

First, I tried changing the engine and primary oil, - no luck. I tried listening with a hose pipe up to my ear. Really can't tell where the sound originates - lower front of the motor - but you can hear something all along the cylinders and even in-between them... seems to come from everywhere.

I spent some time at the local Harley shop listening to other bikes to try and discover if any of those made the same noise - and nope - they were all so quiet - compared to mine.

I have always done all my own mechanic work on all my vehicles, and I am comfortable rebuilding engines and transmissions, I decided to take a look myself.

I put the bike up on a stand and pulled the primary cover. Everything looked great. I started the bike and listened to the open primary (after taping up a drape to catch the slinging oil...).
The first thing I noticed was the top of the chain started slapping up and down. I was surprised to see the chain slapping like this, since I've seen several people on Youtube running their bikes with their primary open, and haven't noticed this before.

I pulled the compensator off, and the bolt only needed about 90 ft/lbs to remove it. I was pleased to find that I didn't have to remove the clutch basket to get the compensator off - just removed the bolt, and the splined collar, and then there's enough room to remove the chain.

The compensator springs are made up of several spring-disks, and they looked fine, but there was quite a bit of paste-like goo in there - looked a lot like graphite - like dry sludge. I cleaned all that out, and poured some fresh oil in there. I also noticed that the bearing surface where the compensator rides on the splined collar, looked pretty dry.

It really looks like the current compensator design doesn't allow oil to get into the inner works very easily... wonder if there's a mod to drill a couple of oil holes somewhere... to let oil in.

Fortunately the "ramps" on the compensator only had very light wear marks, so I oiled it all very well and put it back together and tightened it up to 140ft/lbs with red locktite.

Filled the primary with fresh oil, and cranked it up.

YEAH! quiet at last!

Thinking back on it, there were several tips which I should have noticed which could have helped me figure out the original problem;
For example;
1. I have been noticing that along with the irritating whooshing noise, the bike used to kind of kick back when cruising at low speed especially noticeable in 2nd and 3rd. It was fine accelerating and decelerating, but when I was just cruising/coasting it would tend to "buck" and kick back, not a lot, but enough to feel it. - Probably because the compensator was gummed-up a bit (or loose?)
2. Last year I put some thinner oil in the primary (Mobil 1 10/40), and noticed it was a lot noisier than with the 20/50. but I should have torn off the primary cover right then.
3. Everybody complains about the compensator on the 96 inch motor - I really should have looked at it earlier...

Only done about 30 miles since I got it done, but sure sounds so much better...

·
Banned
71 Posts
Had fun this week. Believe I finally found the source of my noisy engine.

Bought my 07 FLSTC used with just 2k miles on it a couple of years ago, and it's been developing a noisy sound from the lower front of engine/primary.

I hope this story helps someone else resolve a similar issue...

The bike always starts and runs very well. Let me try and describe the sound it makes.

As soon as I start the bike, It has a sshhhh sound, kind of a whooshing sound. It gets louder as I rev the engine.
It's not really loud, in fact starting the bike inside the garage with the door down, it's kind of hard to hear with the exhaust echoing off the walls. Sometimes I tell myself it's "normal", but it's so much louder than any of my friend's bikes, and I really wanted to get it fixed. I have stock exhaust and windshield which may make it even more noticeable.

First, I tried changing the engine and primary oil, - no luck. I tried listening with a hose pipe up to my ear. Really can't tell where the sound originates - lower front of the motor - but you can hear something all along the cylinders and even in-between them... seems to come from everywhere.

I spent some time at the local Harley shop listening to other bikes to try and discover if any of those made the same noise - and nope - they were all so quiet - compared to mine.

I have always done all my own mechanic work on all my vehicles, and I am comfortable rebuilding engines and transmissions, I decided to take a look myself.

I put the bike up on a stand and pulled the primary cover. Everything looked great. I started the bike and listened to the open primary (after taping up a drape to catch the slinging oil...).
The first thing I noticed was the top of the chain started slapping up and down. I was surprised to see the chain slapping like this, since I've seen several people on Youtube running their bikes with their primary open, and haven't noticed this before.

I pulled the compensator off, and the bolt only needed about 90 ft/lbs to remove it. I was pleased to find that I didn't have to remove the clutch basket to get the compensator off - just removed the bolt, and the splined collar, and then there's enough room to remove the chain.

The compensator springs are made up of several spring-disks, and they looked fine, but there was quite a bit of paste-like goo in there - looked a lot like graphite - like dry sludge. I cleaned all that out, and poured some fresh oil in there. I also noticed that the bearing surface where the compensator rides on the splined collar, looked pretty dry.

It really looks like the current compensator design doesn't allow oil to get into the inner works very easily... wonder if there's a mod to drill a couple of oil holes somewhere... to let oil in.

Fortunately the "ramps" on the compensator only had very light wear marks, so I oiled it all very well and put it back together and tightened it up to 140ft/lbs with red locktite.

Filled the primary with fresh oil, and cranked it up.

YEAH! quiet at last!

Thinking back on it, there were several tips which I should have noticed which could have helped me figure out the original problem;
For example;
1. I have been noticing that along with the irritating whooshing noise, the bike used to kind of kick back when cruising at low speed especially noticeable in 2nd and 3rd. It was fine accelerating and decelerating, but when I was just cruising/coasting it would tend to "buck" and kick back, not a lot, but enough to feel it. - Probably because the compensator was gummed-up a bit (or loose?)
2. Last year I put some thinner oil in the primary (Mobil 1 10/40), and noticed it was a lot noisier than with the 20/50. but I should have torn off the primary cover right then.
3. Everybody complains about the compensator on the 96 inch motor - I really should have looked at it earlier...

Only done about 30 miles since I got it done, but sure sounds so much better...
Do you have the "new" plastic oiling cup kit installed ????

·
Registered
2000 Ultra Glide Standard with tour pack fiull backrest
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plastic oil cup

No, I thought that the plastic oil "cup" was just part of the SE kit... Do people put that on for a stock comp too? Seems like since the stock comp is "solid" across the front that it might not be very effective channeling oil back inside the comp. I'm thinking that drilling a couple of holes in the drum might be helpful

Maybe I need to go back in and do that. I have been thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to open it up and wash out the comp spring assembly every oil change... - but don't know if that would make the bolt come loose even easier in the future(!)

·
Banned
71 Posts
No, I thought that the plastic oil "cup" was just part of the SE kit... Do people put that on for a stock comp too? Seems like since the stock comp is "solid" across the front that it might not be very effective channeling oil back inside the comp. I'm thinking that drilling a couple of holes in the drum might be helpful

Maybe I need to go back in and do that. I have been thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to open it up and wash out the comp spring assembly every oil change... - but don't know if that would make the bolt come loose even easier in the future(!)
The "New" comp has oil holes drilled into it . I don't know if you could do that to your "old" comp tho .

Torquing the bolt several times is also not a great idea, if thats what you want to do , replace the bolt with a new one each time .

If I remember correctly , the MoCo was replacing the old comp with the newer S.E. comp , at no charge to the customer . They were installing the plastic oiler at the same time . You may want to check and see if they will still do that upgrade for you .......for free . :dunno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.