Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading my new 04 HD Dyna service manual. On page 1-23 there is a tire pressure chart as follows.

Table 1-3. Tire Pressures.

All Models Dunlop tires only
Solo Rider
Front 30 PSI
Rear 36 PSI

So now I'm confused. I've been reading threads here and I don't think I've seen anyone saying they run as low as 30 PSI in the front tire.

I've been keeping 36 PSI cold in my front tire. I'd love to go down to 30 PSI if it'll help smooth out the bumps on some of the shitty roads around here.

I'll appreciate your comments.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Sounds low and maybe I have been over-inflating. :eek:

Go by what is printed on the sidewall of the tire regardless of any other information.

Nice catch, I will be checking mine.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You may want to be careful with the pressure molded on the tire sidewall. When the manufacturer builds the tire, they don't know what vehicle it is going on. The pressure number on the sidewall is the maximum for that tire. The correct pressure for the vehicle is usually somewhat lower and is displayed on a sticker. On a Harley, it's usually on the steering head tube or frame downtube.

--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I've been reading my new 04 HD Dyna service manual. On page 1-23 there is a tire pressure chart as follows.

Solo Rider
Front 30 PSI
Rear 36 PSI

So now I'm confused. I've been reading threads here and I don't think I've seen anyone saying they run as low as 30 PSI in the front tire.

I've been keeping 36 PSI cold in my front tire. I'd love to go down to 30 PSI if it'll help smooth out the bumps on some of the shitty roads around here.

The Dyna is a lighter bike than the touring models, so the recommended pressure is probably different. I would go with the spec in the owner's manual for that model.

--

·
Registered
445 Posts
On my 08 SG I have been running 38 back and 36 front when cold since new. I replace with oem dunlops and I am getting 15k out of the rear and 19k easily on the front.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
You may want to be careful with the pressure molded on the tire sidewall. When the manufacturer builds the tire, they don't know what vehicle it is going on. The pressure number on the sidewall is the maximum for that tire. The correct pressure for the vehicle is usually somewhat lower and is displayed on a sticker. On a Harley, it's usually on the steering head tube or frame downtube.

--
What he said. Mine is 30 psig. cold, but that's Softail. I run 32 when 2 up, feels better. IMOP

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok just to follow up I checked the sticker on the frame. It confirms 30PSI front.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
38/40 for me. I don't know why.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Maybe the FL tires are @36 and the FX tires are @30.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Follow the manufacturers recommendation, unless you run tests yourself, on your bike, with your riding conditions and load. The sidewall pressure is maximum cold inflation pressure, nothing more, nothing less. Just an overpressure protection.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The correct tire pressures for your bike are on the vin tag at the front of the frame. Don't use the pressure on the sidewall of the tire, that's generally the max recommended operating pressure for the tire. Over inflating your tires only makes the ride harsh and reduces the size of the contact patch on the road, two things on my list of why would I want to do that...

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
The correct tire pressures for your bike are on the vin tag at the front of the frame. Don't use the pressure on the sidewall of the tire, that's generally the max recommended operating pressure for the tire. Over inflating your tires only makes the ride harsh and reduces the size of the contact patch on the road, two things on my list of why would I want to do that...
There do seem to be exceptions to every rule. Son-in-Law has an older Vulcan.
Has been a while so do`t remember the brand tire.
He bought 2 new ones. Inflated to bike`s specs. Had a very rough ride and extremely poor traction.
After a lot of research he found he should have followed the inflation specs on the tire.
Problem solved. :dunno

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
In most cases, the tire pressure is designed to be a compromise of tire life handling and ride.

For normal use, the differential front to rear is more important than the actual pressures. This differential is designed to obtain the handling characteristics for the bike.

The sidewall pressure is the cold maximum pressure, not the use pressure. This pressure is set to allow for the increase when the tire warms up.

The important thing is never under inflate or over inflate.

·
Registered
11,040 Posts

Solo Rider
Front 30 PSI
Rear 36 PSI

I had a 2011 Dyna Fat Bob. Owner's manual said 36 F & 40 R. Same for my 2013 RG, 36 F & 40 R. Since HD knows what brand & size tires came on the bike I'm staying with the owner's manual. If I get different tires I may do something different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what is the pro's and con's of higher pressure.i run 2 pounds over what the mfg calls for.bike rides good.what would 4 or 5 get and what if I put less.always run 5 over in the car and I don't see any difference

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
what is the pro's and con's of higher pressure.i run 2 pounds over what the mfg calls for.bike rides good.what would 4 or 5 get and what if I put less.always run 5 over in the car and I don't see any difference

Big difference between car and bike when talking air pressure.

The more air you add (over recommended psi), the less rubber you have in contact with the road. That equals less traction.

Don't underfill, though. That makes the tire cross-section to make a W...where you have contact on the edges and not in the center, which is horrible for handling and tire life.

Recommendation: fill to recommended psi exactly, and monitor frequently.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts