Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the guy at the dealership parts counter assures me that I should replace a burned out bulb in my passing lamp with a MoCo product from his stock rather that researching and purchasing an equivalent (like an H4 for example) from an auto parts store. According to him, his item will have "anti-vibration properties" (his exact words) that should provide for a longer life. Am I getting a load of BS or is this legitimate?

·
Registered
41,375 Posts
Bunk.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,853 Posts
When you next farted, did all that smoke he was blowing up your butt come back out?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,853 Posts
If it has a filament, it is susceptible to vibration shortening its lifespan. LED's are a lot more tolerant.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Quote from PIAA

By utilizing quartz glass, which is stronger than a standard H4 bulb, PIAA's Anti-Vibration bulb allows better dissipation of heat. A thicker diameter filament support is fixed to the glass tube allowing the bulb to withstand a large range of motion.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Quote from PIAA

By utilizing quartz glass, which is stronger than a standard H4 bulb, PIAA's Anti-Vibration bulb allows better dissipation of heat. A thicker diameter filament support is fixed to the glass tube allowing the bulb to withstand a large range of motion.
All H-4's are quartz glass....thus quartz-halogen bulb.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I don't know about bulbs for bikes, but way back when I was in the auto-parts business we sold a lot of "Rough Service" light bulbs to service stations, garages, etc. They used them in their drop lights. Looked just like any other 75W or 100W light bulb but they definitely lasted longer in drop lights.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for responding. I am out almost $40 for two replacement bulbs when I likely could have limped right on a long with Autozone equivalents

·
Registered
234 Posts
"Antivibration bulbs have heavier filiments and can be bought at any auto parts store,sometimes , long life or heavy duty or rough service are adjectives used to describe these same bulbs. I worked at NAPA for a few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts