Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I come around a curve entering a short straight and nicely see a white car coming towards me straddling the center line! Great. I edged to the right and the driver barely moves their car back to their lane.

Reminded me of a closer call this summer. Going around a long blind left-hand curve. Sometimes I'm on the inside/leftside of my lane taking it rather quickly. This time I decided to take it easy on the rightside of my lane. Maybe it was a feeling, or experience. Halfway around a white dump truck comes flying around the curve, a good 3-4 feet into my lane :eek:.

Think at my first stop I went to the boys room and reached for the :paper checking my drawers.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Not me, but was about 20' behind the BF as he took a 10 mph turn at about 30, proceeded to panic on/off the brakes @ apex, and then ride into the (trees) on the side of the mountain while we were in Sturgis this year.

Sfarson, that's DAMN lucky, man. Funny how instinct just seems to "work" sometimes.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Not me, but was about 20' behind the BF as he took a 10 mph turn at about 30, proceeded to panic on/off the brakes @ apex, and then ride into the (trees) on the side of the mountain while we were in Sturgis this year.
Lessons for Christmas if you want a BF next year :cool:

The way things are around here - hilly twisties - it's a rare hour when something potentially catastrophic doesn't happen. These are very unforgiving roads with some very dangerous opponents on them.

I've posted a couple video clips and photo analyses of real incidents from rides. Just trivial stuff. I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to put a website up about riding strategies - independent of motorcycle make - to which all who have cameras to record and explain could contribute - nothing staged and not preaching, just real life road incidents that could have been a problem with an explanation of how it was dealt with. No crashes - just examples of successful safe riding.

Not sure anyone would care (blatant fishing for attention :D:D:D ).

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Pete, I've tried everything to get him to participate in ANY kind of rider ed - he doesn't even have a motorcycle license. We go 'round and round... the subject just makes me tired. His friends told him that he rode well for a newbie and that's where his head is at. I rode bitch a few times with him earlier this year and all I can say is THAT will never, ever happen again. He's a good soul, but a statistic waiting to happen.

And I think you've got a good ideer there!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KBO... Sounds like he emerged from the trees OK. Good idea not riding as a passenger. I've seen some very brave women riding as a passenger. Earlier this summer saw a bike laid down in the middle of the road. A man was trying to lift it up with his wife helping. I stopped traffic and helped him get it back up. They both got on, he went 10 more feet and lost his balance again. Down went the bike again. He said he was OK... just needed to get it going at speed. Very brave woman, who didn't look so brave when she looked at me, got back on as they wobbled away.

BTW, with your BF, maybe you can note there's sometimes financial incentives for those completing a training course... from club memberships to insurance. But have to look around. Most important reason is, of course, his own safety. And he'll have more fun following.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Tell him he rides like a girl......no, worse than a girl. Guys don't like that shit.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Pete, I've tried everything to get him to participate in ANY kind of rider ed - he doesn't even have a motorcycle license. We go 'round and round...
Or maybe appeal to the testosterone and give him a race bike training day/course for Xmas. He's gotta be up for that, and they'll see he gets basic at least.

To be honest I'm not really one to be preaching, never having had a lesson in my life. But to be equally honest I attribute my survival thus far to at least as much luck as anything.

The balance being largely due to my back problem - that's right - the big wide yellow stripe right down the middle :rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
You might consider your own situation, too. I hope everything works out for you and him,
but there is an unpleasant possibility to discuss, and it could be a sobering discussion.

You've seen the worst coming, you've tried to warn him, but he's choosing unwisely
to greatly increase his odds of winding up crippled for life or dead.
You might tell him that if his foolish choice makes him into a lifelong burden, he'll be alone.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I almost hit a duck :D it flew right out in front of me, it was the first time I locked up the rear.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
You might tell him that if his foolish choice makes him into a lifelong burden, he'll be alone.
With sincere respect, my wife tells me that all the time.

I take no notice at all.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I almost hit a duck :D it flew right out in front of me, it was the first time I locked up the rear.
Which leads us nicely into the story of Old Joe the Poacher, who shot a duck on the Windsor Estate.

He came into the pub grinning, and carrying the duck. The Landlord asked him "You had a good day, Joe ? "

Joe says " Not too bad. I shot this here duck on the Windsor Estate and got out without being caught.

Then on the way home I passed the widow Smith's home - her with the enormous attributes - and she says to me 'Tha's a nice duck, Joe. I ain't got no money, but I'll trade you a bit of a kiss and a cuddle for it', so I says "right you are then".

So we 'as a bit of a kiss and a cuddle and I gives 'er the duck. An' then she says 'that there kiss and cuddle was so nice, Joe, would you do it again ? '

So I says "what would you give me ? " and she says "what about this here duck ? ".

So I says "OK" and back at it we go.

She declares 'erself finally satisfied and gives me back the duck and I come 'ere.

"So yeah - I have 'ad a good day - I got a fukc for a duck, a duck for a fukc, an I still got the fukken duck " :D:D:D

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
Which leads us nicely into the story of Old Joe the Poacher, who shot a duck on the Windsor Estate.

He came into the pub grinning, and carrying the duck. The Landlord asked him "You had a good day, Joe ? "

Joe says " Not too bad. I shot this here duck on the Windsor Estate and got out without being caught.

Then on the way home I passed the widow Smith's home - her with the enormous attributes - and she says to me 'Tha's a nice duck, Joe. I ain't got no money, but I'll trade you a bit of a kiss and a cuddle for it', so I says "right you are then".

So we 'as a bit of a kiss and a cuddle and I gives 'er the duck. An' then she says 'that there kiss and cuddle was so nice, Joe, would you do it again ? '

So I says "what would you give me ? " and she says "what about this here duck ? ".

So I says "OK" and back at it we go.

She declares 'erself finally satisfied and gives me back the duck and I come 'ere.

"So yeah - I have 'ad a good day - I got a fukc for a duck, a duck for a fukc, an I still got the fukken duck " :D:D:D
:rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts