Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you, if any of you, are official members of the Harley Owners Group and if so how do you feel about the benefits of being one? I myself have thought about joining, though not any particular chapter, since $45 isn't a lot of dough. One benefit at least is a discount at the Museum since I plan to be passing through/by there next fall. Prior to finding this place I knew they had an online forum I thought might prove beneficial too.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I'm a member of the chapter in North Edmonton. I ride with the group once in a while but most of the time I like to just ride by myself and a buddy. You do get to meet a lot of different people though and I've had a few become good friends. There is always someone in the group looking for someone to ride with.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
My 2 cents...you have to join the National Chapter BEFORE you can join your local chapter . That doesn't sit right with me . The major complaint I have with the MoCo is their ' whore-ish-ness ' when it comes to finding ways to get their hands in our pockets...much like the government...:mad .

They have activities and merchandise on both levels but that in itself costs additional money over and above membership...:what?

By all means do what you feel will be in YOUR best interest here...and good luck with your decision . BTW , where in MA ?

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I know Roy gtrman66 is a long time member of HOG. He can probably shine the most light on the benefits of being a Member.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, like you oldredog77 I generally ride alone. Its more of a personal preference of setting my own pace, going where I want to and stopping when I want to. I see the advantages though sometimes of the group things but I found most of them seem to do the beer stops and I don't mix "riding" and drinking in any amount.

DaBreeze, I think a lot of that is the marketing concept of trying to sell you on a lifestyle. Indian seems to be trying to copy the same playbook, even Fender Musical Instruments is starting to go that route. I'm not against the swag but I'm essentially just in it for the bike. I went on one group ride, my first in years and everyone was wearing at least something that said HD on it. Me too actually, the jacket I picked up in January from a guy who's lift I saw on craigslist, only because I'd have to lose at least 40 pounds to get into my old one. I'm in the Merrimack Valley btw, Lawrence specifically.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I'm a HOG member but not of a local HOG group.

The link below will give you the benefits of membership. It may or may not mention the little stuff like pin stops at major rallies. Also many if not all State HOG rallies require membership to register.

H.O.G.® Member Benefits | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Asylum Inmate
12,095 Posts
I am just a national member.

I was a local member for one year, nice enough people, just not my thing.

I keep national because the magazine is decent.

The ATT discount is really good

The Best Western Platinum level is a very good benefit on pricing the hotels.

The basic roadside is available, though I have the AMA roadside as well.

And the map book that comes out is pretty well put together.

The few things local I ride with, Toy Run, and the Poker Run in the spring are open to local members and non-members so I don't have to be a local to do those two rides.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,758 Posts
Been a member for years both National and local. The discounts for motels and such pay for the dues if you are on the road a lot as I often am. I also like the roadside assistance/towing insurance.

Reactions: buckanear007

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been a member since 96 for one reason; roadside assistance reimbursement worth two time what I pay in dues. I don't ride with the local group or anything. Just for the map and roadside assistance.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Member of national and local.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I got a free HOG membership when I bought my bike this year. I never used any benefits as of yet. I did sew their patch on my jacket though.

·
2,327 Posts
National and local. Don't do much local, but it gets me a 10% discount on everything. Easy to get the $20 bucks back.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Both wife and I National only and only because the dealership pays for the first year when you buy a bike. Since we bout two Harleys this year we split the membership. Since we bought a bike last year they extend for another year. Seems ok, not sure if I would pay for it and have no interest in joing the local chapter at this time.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I think I got a membership when I bought the bike in March.

Does HOG do anything in regards to helping with motorcycle laws and that kind of stuff? Do they have a lobbyist? Just curious.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
National and local. Primarily for roadside and travel discounts. Occasional group rides if the destination interests me. My wife feels safer in a group; but overwhelming majority of my mileage is solo/alone. Local group has a lot of great folks. I've never seen much if any alcohol consumed on a ride. I like the magazine. Plan to continue my membership, but I would not consider myself a very active member.

--

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
I am just a national member.

I was a local member for one year, nice enough people, just not my thing.

I keep national because the magazine is decent.

The ATT discount is really good

The Best Western Platinum level is a very good benefit on pricing the hotels.

The basic roadside is available, though I have the AMA roadside as well.

And the map book that comes out is pretty well put together.

The few things local I ride with, Toy Run, and the Poker Run in the spring are open to local members and non-members so I don't have to be a local to do those two rides.
I'm a national HOG member and agree the benefits are well worth the price of membership.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Hell, for the cost of the national membership, which I belong to, the 10% I save at the dealership pays that back and then some. Plus the map and Best Western savings.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts