Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, put me down as doing so. Something about a warm summer night, the instrumentation glowing, the bike serenading. Don't care much for a twisty dark road at night, but out in the open, distant lights, passing cars or being passed, I find the experience sublime. Only downside is the critters coming out. Despite this, still find the nighttime ride a special time in the saddle. Am I in the minority on this? Others have similar sentiments?

Have just come in from a 180 mile late afternoon and evening ride. The last 60 miles in the dark on the highway. Gourmet dinner at a Sonic. Ha! Could have ridden all night. Guess I'm on a high.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
One think I think I'll miss about living in Chicago are those warm summer nights... there's nothing like cruising on empty streets/highways with the radio playing... the soft night air... heading down to the lakefront to catch the sunrise before heading home for a quick catnap.

Life was gooood...

·
1,085 Posts
I used to love riding at night.

Me, the headlight and all the time in the world.

Lately I have had to scale back. Too many deer and the night vision isn't what it used to be.

I still love it.
Same here, after hitting the deer in August I see the back roads a bit differently in the dark.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steve, this isn't fair at all! If you went to the barn and saddled up you must tell of your mount. For us to to enjoy the ride with you, we must know which family member you were riding. I am going to guess it was the DX. I think you have a passion for the DX. I picture you slicing through the darkness on a black demin DX. People standing near the road saying "who was that masked man"?
Man, put me down as doing so. Something about a warm summer night, the instrumentation glowing, the bike serenading. Don't care much for a twisty dark road at night, but out in the open, distant lights, passing cars or being passed, I find the experience sublime. Only downside is the critters coming out. Despite this, still find the nighttime ride a special time in the saddle. Am I in the minority on this? Others have similar sentiments?

Have just come in from a 180 mile late afternoon and evening ride. The last 60 miles in the dark on the highway. Gourmet dinner at a Sonic. Ha! Could have ridden all night. Guess I'm on a high.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Around town, yes love it. Even more I'm sure when it's warm at night. Around here, though, on the backroads, at night, fugedaboudit - the deer are everywhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Evenings on urban roads no worries. Unfortunately there are far too many marsupials wandering our rural roads to make riding at night much fun.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I hear you both.

Dinero... Maybe I missed this, but take a bow for the new Ultra Classic!
Thanks Steve. I was looking at all the things I wanted to put on the Street Glide and decided the best thing to do was start with a platform that had most of it already.

I've been heading towards a geezer glide for several years so I just bit the bullet.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent. Take a pic when you have a chance. Have rented them before when far from home and the bike over delivered everytime... and that was with the pre-07 enhancements.

Once, my sister (as passenger) and I rented one out of Cincinnati touring southern Indiana over a weekend and happened across a great radio station. That fantastic E-Glide surround sound system is in a class by itself and we had a blast coming across all these tunes we grew up with. How about that for a strange E-Glide memory?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve, this isn't fair at all! If you went to the barn and saddled up you must tell of your mount. For us to to enjoy the ride with you, we must know which family member you were riding. I am going to guess it was the DX. I think you have a passion for the DX. I picture you slicing through the darkness on a black demin DX. People standing near the road saying "who was that masked man"?
Steve... Passing by at night on a blackened and fast bike, I think the only evidence bystanders would experience is the sound! Oh wait, the lights would be on. OK, they would think a low flying UFO passed by!

Be sure to note here when your DX patience is rewarded!

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I'm prejudiced. Roads around here are twisty and unlit and we have deer, so I don't ride at night at all.

Just thinking back, in fact the last time I rode at night was London to Edinburgh (450 miles) overnight in freezing rain on a TriBSA up the old unlit A1. About 35 years ago, and it was bloody miserable. What we won't do for a woman when we're young :rofl:

·
Scooter Degenerate
33 Posts
Man, put me down as doing so. Something about a warm summer night, the instrumentation glowing, the bike serenading. Don't care much for a twisty dark road at night, but out in the open, distant lights, passing cars or being passed, I find the experience sublime.
Hey Stevie... just another example of us being separated at birth.
Like you, i can take a pass on the technical roads after the sun drops and
i have a bit of a phobia about deer but the open stuff is real fine.

I also have to admit to loving urban scooting. It's great during the day and way seductive at night. Urban scooting tends to keep my skills honed and reminds me of playing a video game. On a hot night it is the best.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Family time takes up most of the daylight hours, so I find myself riding after 9:00pm most days. I have been favoring urban riding because of the lack of deer. I took US 50 downtown the other night. Rode up to Mount Adams and took in the city view. Crossing the bridges at night is fun too.I'm gonna mount the video camera on one of these night trips. Which reminds me, I took some local footage on a ride the other day in Indian Hill. I just have to edit it, and find a good tune.

·
Scooter Degenerate
33 Posts
Terry... We be on the the same page, same font.

BTW, went to your web page several days ago and throughly enjoyed the images of your family, home, water.
Hey Stevie... you probably saw the cottage that was bulldozed a few weeks back. Construction is well underway on the new one. I'll send you pics after it's framed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts