Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any other Softail owners are having the same issue as me. The leather tank strap on my Breakout is coming up. I checked to see if it was a possible recall issue and could not find one. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also heard silicon?! Anyone familiar with it as an adhesive on leather to metal?

·
Registered
42,710 Posts
Second the contact cement. The metal piece around the ignition switch on my bike was lifting up when I purchased it. I fixed it when I got it home with contact cement 10 years ago, not a problem since.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You can also get 3m spray glue in any hardware store. Just mask off where you don't want the glue to be. Then spray a liberal amount on the area you want it. Wait between five and ten minutes for it to get tacky the time will depend on heat and humidity but when it's tacky lay it down and use a good amount of pressure to make it adhere. Make sure you lay it down careful not to get any air bubbles. That's the type of glue that is used in auto upholstery shops. They used it on the vinyl tops on the cas in the 80's. My father used to do auto upholstery back then and I used to work with him in his shop.

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
BARGES Glue has been around forever. Follow directions apply even pressure wait till next day, on forever. Had a sewed seam on my favorite leather gloves opening up. Applied glue with pressure. Been 2 years seam stronger than new. Originally used for leather shoe repairs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Another +1 to Never, never, NEVER use silicone. Only works once and it's near impossible to get the residue off and get more to stick. And if you get it on anything else like the paint your screwed. '10 Custom and mines OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts