Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
With autumn winding down in many places, did any of you take any pretty autumn pics while on a ride?
What's Pretty Autumn??? All the leaves here are still green...not too pretty. Texas doesn't have too much of an Autumn...and I know I'm missing out!!!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yes you did miss out. :)... like 11" of snow has fallen here the past five days!!!

BUT, today it melted and 60's are forecast the next several days.

This I know, several years ago following a convention in Houston, rented an E-Glide and headed south to Corpus, riding along the gulf coast on February day. Little brisk, but sunny and beautiful. Then headed inland, circling back to Houston. Now I know where all the birds go in the winter!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How about Southwestern New Hampshire on a picture perfect Fall day?

It was about an eight hour ride. These pictures pretty much depict what the entire ride was like, but they do not in any way capture the true beauty of this area. Most of these were taken by the wife from the back of the bike while riding.

Enjoy.

Tree Leaf Lake Natural landscape Plant

Road Natural landscape Highland Nature Mountainous landforms

Reflection Body of water Nature Water Lake

Natural landscape Nature Leaf Natural environment Tree

Road Tree Sky Highway Natural landscape

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nitram... those are great pics! Really like the blue water contrast with the blue sky. And what a steady hand while underway for the razor sharp images. Riding your region is on my short list. One of these days...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those pictures look like postcards....how amazing!!!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, two autumn pics from a recent group ride.

Cameron Pass near Rocky Mountain National Park...

After 400 miles in the saddle this day, with the sun getting low in the western sky, looking north from the top of Berthoud Pass. Something about a rumpled carpet of forest stretching as far as one can see...

·
Registered
679 Posts
OK, two autumn pics from a recent group ride.

Steve- You have had WONDERFUL travels in your life!!! I always love your stories and pictures!!!!! I hope someday I will be able to travel as much as I would like too!!!! I think that's great, and thank you for always posting/sharing!!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve- You have had WONDERFUL travels in your life!!! I always love your stories and pictures!!!!! I hope someday I will be able to travel as much as I would like too!!!! I think that's great, and thank you for always posting/sharing!!
:eek: This means I'm blushing. :)

Hey, if you have broadband, here's a five minute ride video of the Cameron Pass ascent. Autumn up high. Following four friends on a variety of bikes. Had a digital camera with me so stuck it on the tank of the bike. Image stabilization isn't great but it turned out OK. Great tune from the 70's accompanies. Song made the group's Greatest Hits album, but probably just barely :).

Cameron Pass Colorado Ride Video

These kinds of roads we can ride if we have an HDF event here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay... they aren't as recent as I would like, but here are a few from a fun ride I did a while back:

The one with the mountains is one of my fav pics because everyone said it wouldn't turn out....

·
Motorcycle Junkie
40 Posts
raebar... Nice pics. Have been most places in CO except the Grand Mesa (Next summer)! And now I have a glimpse of Powderhorn. Is Rough Canyon a hiking canyon?

Yes, Rough Canyon is in the Bangs Canyon Area up little park road outside GJ.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Steve,
It's not recent, It's not even autumn:mad:
But it's from a nice ride:ride Windemere pass in Lake Dictrict, England. :D
Left hand driving is right;)

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great Ride & 2 encounters w/the Greatest Generation

Howdy all,

Doug here, from Westminster, Maryland. Was going to start a separate thread, but my ride/pictures fit perfectly here. Monday morning headed west to Thurmont, MD and then up 550 and over the mountain and the Appalachian Trail. Down the mountain and continued west to Greencastle, PA, and then south to Williamsport, MD and the Potomac River. Here is a pic of the farmland from 550 making my way up...

Heading up to an overlook (High Rock) just north of Pen Mar, MD...

While enjoying the view and the solitude, a van pulls up, and 3 couples of older (than me anyway!) folks get out and join me. The ladies are wearing dresses and white hair buns, and looked to me to be Mennonite (my Mom was born and raised Mennonite). We made greetings and talked some, and it turns out that one of the ladies was born and raised in the same place as my Mom (Harrisonburg, VA). After talking some more, we figured out that she new my Grandmother and my Mom! Small world, indeed! We shared about 20 great minutes together, and I got a couple of pictures to share with my Mom. Before they left, 2 of the men had to come over and check out my Glide, and one of them told me he used to ride Triumphs and BSA's back in the 60's.

The woman on the right knew my Grandmother and Mom...

A couple of pics looking west from High Rock...

Here is a view from where I parked. You can see my friends still enjoying the view, and you can make out the valley below behind the trees...

Got to Williamsport, MD, and drove to the Park Service area of the C & O Canal. As soon as I parked the bike, an older gentleman walked over to talk. Said he knew it was a Harley as soon as he heard it. He told me he bought a new HD in 1942 for $750, and then got drafted and served as Paratrooper in WW2. As we talked some more, and I told him where I live, he said the he used to run trains through my town (Westminster) when he worked for the Western Maryland RR. I have always liked trains, and sometimes go out just to watch them, although rarely in the last several years. He is now a volunteer for the Park Service, and spends many hours at the Canal assisting visitors and answering questions. His name is Ed. We spent a great 20 minutes or so talking, and I asked him if I could take his picture before I left. He obliged. Here is Ed next to my Glide, with the canal in the background, and another photo with the historic Cushwa's store as the backdrop...

150 years ago, the water would have been FULL of canal boats unloading coal from the mountains to the west to be used by the folks in and around Williamsport.

Ed told me where a nice deli was in town, and I was hungry. As I was about to leave, he approached me again. He asked if I would mind mailing him the picture. He wanted to share it with his grandkids. I took his address, and told him it would be on the way as soon as I get one printed up. As I was thinking about which way home (backroads, maybe through Antietam or Harper's Ferry), I thought I should check the cell phone.

Back to real life. There was a message from the school nurse, and my daughter needed Benadryl, and they couldn't give it to her without the last will and testament type paperwork. My wife was out, so I skipped the deli and the scenic way home, and slabbed it back to rescue my daughter.

It was a great day, a sort of "why I ride" ride, with a "small world" story to boot. Motivated me to use the Blessing of having the bike to make sure I take time along the way to meet and enjoy people and to "smell the roses".

Steve, thanks for starting this thread. Great idea!

BTW all, my bike was a Police Electra Glide. Bought it September of last year, and over the winter, converted it to a Road Glide. I am going to do a thread outlining the conversion in the Touring section.

Ride safe all.

Doug

1 - 20 of 22 Posts