Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
18 Posts
You know the old saying " you get what you paid for". I have friends who used the airbagit.com products on vehicles and was disappointed in the quaility and durability. Most of them have now taken off all of the airbagit.com stuff and replaced it with other "quality" air bag products. Just beware and do some research before you buy. I don't know about their scooter stuff, it might be ok, just letting you know what I've heard about car and truck stuff.

· Registered
422 Posts
The expensive part of a good air shock is “multiple shocks” built into the system… were the low end shocks have none or maybe one.

On a car you can get away with it, because the weight is directly over the shock. Another words the weight is one to one or a 1:1 ratio. If say… the back end of a car weighs 1500 pounds each shock is taking 750 each pounds of force.

On a bike this is not the case. Especially on a soft tail. The ratio of “weight to shock” is more than 2: 1 as much as 3:1 depending on position it’s in. This means that the bounce in the air shock is amplified by that ratio. For every inch of bounce at the shock, you will get 2 inches to 3 inches of bounce at the axle. You will feel 2 inches to 3 inches of bounce.

I’m I making any sense here?

Look at the distance from the pivot of the swing arm to the end of the shock. Then look at the distance from the pivot of the swing arm to the axle. This is the ratio I’m talking about.

The long / short of it, your not going to like the lack of control of a low end shock as apposed to a high end shock set.

· The Northern *******
7,173 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
ridin on Legends this will be the 3rd year, won't have a softail without it. well worth the $1100 I spent on it. I'm only 180 lbs, can't imagine how you heavy weights go with out them. As for Shotgun sys, never heard of them. But to say that "air line flex robs performance" is a load crap.

· Wayne
68 Posts
This is probably the best air system out there for Softails...I've installed several of the Progressive systems with all their little hoses..what a pain..several people I know have put the Shotgun system on & love it..compressor is down with the shocks ..all one unit...

MC Advantages :: Shotgun Shock Air Suspension Systems For ?00-Later Softail®
I have a shotgunshock that was installed in Dec. 07 It started to have a slow leak, would go down overnight. I called JD at Shotgunshock and he said it was full warranty for five years. I removed it (took about 20 minutes with it on a jack with one other person to help) packaged and sent it to him and had it back within a week, He told me that it was a stem seal and that was the only one that he has had to replace, he also put a new one way valve on it said that it was a better quality than when the shock was first developed (very good customer service). You can control the ride highth (4 inches) and the comfort level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts