Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum I have a quick question I have a 2015 883 iron I recently drilled half inch holes in each muffler and I'm getting some backfire I have a question to stop the backfire can I just get a k&n high flow air filter to put in the stock air cleaner? or do I have to do something else to stop the backfire ?.. Is backfire bad for the scoot ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hey Bronx
I think that adding a hi-po air filter will increase your backfires if you mean it's like decal popping? I'm betteing you are a bit lean right now. You might need to get a fuel tuner to richen things up a bit.
Colt.45

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bronx
I think that adding a hi-po air filter will increase your backfires if you mean it's like decal popping? I'm betteing you are a bit lean right now. You might need to get a fuel tuner to richen things up a bit.
Colt.45
. Yeah I meant decell popping I might just have to get a tuner because I'm reading up now and it says getting a high flow filter will make it lean. what's your opinion on a stage one download you think that would help me

·
RIP Michael
86 Posts
. Yeah I meant decell popping I might just have to get a tuner because I'm reading up now and it says getting a high flow filter will make it lean. what's your opinion on a stage one download you think that would help me
Better than nothing, but if all they do is a download you will probably still get some decel pop. Factory downloads still seem to stay on the lean side. Damn EPA seems to want to keep AFR at 14+. I'd rather have it down around 13.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hey Bronx,I am speaking just of what I have read on the download but based on that tend to agree with mpholland. I had decal popping after adding V&H slip ons and added Night Rider's XIEDs which helped some but not all the way. It also seemed like they would become less effective after a couple of rides but if I unplugged the battery for a few minutes they 'seemed' to help more for a couple rides again? Sorta like the bike would compensate for them after a bit? I took em off and went with a Dobek tuner.....no more decal popping even after I replaced my pipes with V&H Big Radius system.Bike seems to run well too.
Colt.45

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Decel pop is a welcome to Harley. Normal operation. Back fire on start up or power off can be lean or rich depending on the pop. I did pipes and headers with a dyno that cause a lean backfire on start up, that was an issue that was part of a corrupt map in my dyno. Decel back fire always happens, your new pipes are just allowing you to finally hear it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Vandy 58
I am not a Harley expert......far from it but..........after I installed a fuel tuner my decal popping is gone. This is with V&H Big Radius and Arlen Ness Big Sucker.
Colt.45

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
V &H power dual and high flow carbon made it louder and prouder for me. All bikes have decel pop. Hell I watch motoGP religiously and all those bikes, including AMA super stock decel pop. It happens and again it is hurting nothing. Constant back fires in anything though is an issue, ie excel, start up, turn off, ect. Harley's make noise, they smell like gas, and vibrate like a bitch. This is the fun of owning a Harley. Metric bike are good bikes and they don't display this stuff as much. Not trying to insult anyone but if these are the things that worry you a Honda or Yamaha might be a better bet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
V &H power dual and high flow carbon made it louder and prouder for me. All bikes have decel pop. Hell I watch motoGP religiously and all those bikes, including AMA super stock decel pop. It happens and again it is hurting nothing. Constant back fires in anything though is an issue, ie excel, start up, turn off, ect. Harley's make noise, they smell like gas, and vibrate like a bitch. This is the fun of owning a Harley. Metric bike are good bikes and they don't display this stuff as much. Not trying to insult anyone but if these are the things that worry you a Honda or Yamaha might be a better bet.

I hear ya, but I think on decel pop it is a matter of degree. Mine was ridiculous and a blown Briggs & Stratton would be a better bet for anyone who liked it...lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hello forum I have a quick question I have a 2015 883 iron I recently drilled half inch holes in each muffler and I'm getting some backfire I have a question to stop the backfire can I just get a k&n high flow air filter to put in the stock air cleaner? or do I have to do something else to stop the backfire ?.. Is backfire bad for the scoot ? Thanks
So you don't have the $300 to pay the dealer you agreed to pay but you can afford and air cleaner or stage one download?

·
Try'n to behave
6,430 Posts
So you don't have the $300 to pay the dealer you agreed to pay but you can afford and air cleaner or stage one download?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts