Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video shows a kid who says what I have always thought about teaching and teachers!!

Good teachers are worth more than anything else if they are teaching about school stuff.

But like so many things, how many people are natural at what they do??

Outta all the teachers I've had in my life only three or four were born to teach, I didn't realize until later, but they were born to teach!!

Teachers can go to school to teach and learn the ropes of teaching, but how many get student to really learn and just have a knack for it.

I remember one ole lady I had as math teacher in 8th grade, I took the class cause I knew it would be easy...just general math!

I could go through a math test of 50 problem in no time and noticed a lot of kids were having a hard time at these easy tests.

This teacher was kinda a goof and seemed like a ding bat (what ever that is) reminded me of that all in the family wife...edith?

Thing is that goofy old lady had a system down to help these kids and was a natural teacher, and she had these kids ready and wanting more. I was a party hardy type and played like a hardazz in school.......but that old lady always had my respect for what she did for us kids and her ability to get kids that didn't give a damn about math to like it! Had a few other teacher like that..

There just isn't enough natural born teachers to go around, that and parents and kids ain't like they used to be in some cases. Myself and kids I went to school with weren't perfect little students either!!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
I retired 4 years ago as a high school teacher. Previously, I was an engineer and before that put in time with Ma Bell and Uncle Sam among other jobs. Teaching was always the thing I had dreamed of doing. The Air Force gave me that opportunity in the 60's when they let me teach Electronics at Keesler AFB, and that gave me the bug that lasted to this day.
I can tell you that what that kid says in the video is right on the money. Too many people who should be excellent teachers just can't get past the bureaucratic BS that almost forces them to teach to the state mandated tests that evolved from No child's Behind Left (or something to that effect). There is so much pressure put on teachers and principals these days that they cannot take the time needed to actually interact with the kids as they need to.
I got away with it with my kids over the years having vowed that I would never stoop to teaching those idiot tests and instead insisted that they learn the concepts and principles of the subject and learn to think their way through the problems presented. My kids never scored lower than 5th (as a group out of 53 groups) in the state on those tests.
It is important to me that my kids learned, and more important that my legacy should read that I was a good teacher no matter what else I have or will have done in my life when that last day arrives. Those kids, as it turns out, are the only kids I will ever have. They know they are stuck with me forever, and it is one of my greatest joys that so many of them come back to BS or have a beer or show me their kids or whatever.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
That's cool kd5cqt, good topic rosco!

I always thought teaching would be hard and always had a lot of respect for the teachers who you could tell gave a:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl: ...And I know after some of the parents and kids I've seen it would be impossible to continue to be a teacher for me.

High school teachesr may have how many classes and students...seems like quite the task!!

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I used to have a lot of respect for teachers, not so much anymore. All the BS liberal crap in the schools these days.......kids draw a pitcher of a gun and git suspended, singing Songs of praise to "O"boy like he's a King ot sumthin. Sending kids home cause they have a Bush t-shirt on......and it goes on an on....this crap happens every day.

·
Registered
36,939 Posts
The Air Force gave me that opportunity in the 60's when they let me teach Electronics at Keesler AFB, and that gave me the bug that lasted to this day.
Ha! You could have been one of my dad's instructors!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
Ha! You could have been one of my dad's instructors!
We sure had a bunch of people going through what with Nam going full blast.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
I LOVE teaching. I wouldn't call myself the most spiritual man on the planet, but I truly believe that I was put on this earth to be a teacher. Like everyone else who loves his/her job, I have my good days and bad days, but I try to have more good than bad. I've experienced the power my teachers had on me and the effect I have had on students. It's humbling and amazing all at the same time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I teach machining technology and pride at a high school career center. I'm just finishing my 11th year.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
I always wanted to be a teacher........not sure if I could have handled the crap that comes with it though.
Like it or not, every one of us at some time or another finds ourselves in the position of having to teach someone something necessary to go on in life. Those who do it for a living have discovered the morons in the positions of power who do their damndest to make it a difficult task, but when you slog through the pain and difficulties and see a kid become a successful adult because of your efforts, none of the BS seems to matter (at least for that moment). And their ain't nothing like taking a loser kid who is on his way to jail (or worse) because of his attitudes and behaviors and turn him completely around in life. One of those makes a whole career worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
thanks to all of those who choose to teach, without a doubt the most important and sometimes the hardest of careers.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Just wish teachers would teach the facts and leave their political beliefs out of the teaching!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
Just wish teachers would teach the facts and leave their political beliefs out of the teaching!
The real teachers do. But sometimes, you have to educate your kids beyond the subject of your class. I always kept a copy of the Constitution in my Engineering fundamentals classroom because it is astounding how many rights kids think they have, and I used to ask them to please show me such and such a right in that Constitution. Served as a good education tool for their future as well as the dictionary I'd throw at them when they didn't understand a word I used.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been a teacher for about 10 years, wouldnt change a thing about my career choice. I teach Machining Technology at the Technical College level. How else can I share information about a trade I enjoy immensely with people who want to learn the skills. Plus trying to do my part to keep the USA competitive in manufacturing with the rest of the world.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Been a teacher for about 10 years, wouldnt change a thing about my career choice. I teach Machining Technology at the Technical College level. How else can I share information about a trade I enjoy immensely with people who want to learn the skills. Plus trying to do my part to keep the USA competitive in manufacturing with the rest of the world.
Its not just the trade but for the first time EVER, most of my kids experience making something with their hands and they get to experience real pride. Pity they haven't done this until they hit my class.

My mom was a special education teacher and I always thought she was nuts now here I am, 20 years after she's gone, a teacher.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm in my 33rd year of teaching-twenty some at the middle school level and over ten at the high school. I do know that my students understand that I care about them, and that I will bend over backwards for them. It's reassuring when my classes are full every semester, and students tell me they can't wait to be in my class again. In over thirty years, I have never complained about having to go to work; it has been a labor of love, and for that I am very thankful. And yes, there are those that should not be in the profession, just like some of those employed in other endeavors.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I am a technical trainer for a wind turbine company, now just shy of 5 years, some technical courses, but mainly teaching safety, fall protection, and high angle rescue to the incoming technicians. If you had told me 6 years ago that I would be a teacher, instructor, trainer whatever you want to call it, I would have asked you to share, cuz that must be some really good chit you've got! Now that I have experienced it, I can not imagine doing anything else. Once I saw the light of understanding come on, because of something I said or showed someone, I was hooked on the job. As it turns out, there were several teachers in the family, mainly on my mothers side. Who da thunk?

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
I'm in my 33rd year of teaching-twenty some at the middle school level and over ten at the high school. I do know that my students understand that I care about them, and that I will bend over backwards for them. It's reassuring when my classes are full every semester, and students tell me they can't wait to be in my class again. In over thirty years, I have never complained about having to go to work; it has been a labor of love, and for that I am very thankful. And yes, there are those that should not be in the profession, just like some of those employed in other endeavors.
a HUGE :thumbup ... isn't that an awesome feeling?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts