Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for Shorty E on Evo, short of rebuilding carb ?

S&S Shorty E on an Evo. Homemade chopper I built a little over 10 years ago.

Parked it for about 2 yrs ago, so, old gas.
Drained tank, new premium gas & oil, filter change. Engine started using starter fluid, took awhile. First start was a little problem, but now, it fires right up, each time w/o a prob. Starting is not a prob.

Prob. is, going down the road it runs rough at low rpm, holds idle, but seems to want to choke out, stall, power loss, at acceleration. Once up to speed is OK, but early acceleration is bad.

Anything I should look at Re. the carb, before rebuilding it. I mean, anything I should try, hints, tips, short of a rebuild, then, if still a prob, rebuild it.

Rebuild kit is about $75, and looks like about 4-5 hrs. of time. $ is tight, so would like to see if anything I can do, short of a rebuild.

Thanks

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I recently took mine apart after it sat for several months. Didn't need to replace anything, but a good thorough cleaning - use (obviously) some carb cleaner and have a compressor on hand as well - was all the doctor ordered (and WOW, what an improvement). The compressor not only aids in furthering the cleaning process, but also helps to determine if certain passageways are free of obstruction (by feeling the airflow).

It may be that you don't need to replace anything, but I can pretty much guarantee that you'll need to remove it and clean it real good. This will also give you a chance to ascertain which parts, if any, need replacing. If you only need one or two parts, then you'll save the money you'd spend on a full rebuild kit. Also, check eBay for those parts. Shop around and you'll save more money. Just going to one or two well-known sources is not likely to be of any monetary benefit.

·
Try'n to behave
5,644 Posts
I don't know if it's related or not, but I was told to also check my timing, because mine was doing something similar. And I will.....as soon as I find a portable tach.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think what you are describing is the accelerator pump tip in. 2 small BBs in bottom of acc. pump. 1 let's fuel in,1 let's fuel out. If ether one doesn't seal or open at right times. You get that stumble and poor just off idle proformace. If you're really steady you can clean and replace while still mounted to bike. But one wrong move, you can kiss 1 or both BBs bye bye .

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,185 Posts
4 year old thread. I hope OP has his carb fixed by now. :eek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts