Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Steve, and I am a tool geek :laugh. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs on my vehicles. I also love to collect tools, mostly the truck brands (Snap On, Mac, Cornwell), or quality US and German non-truck brands.

Anyway! Any tool recommendations for a guy that will be working on an '03 Softail Standard?

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob- Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that! I actually have just about all the hand-tools I'd need in both SAE and metric. What I'm looking for is specialty stuff I may need to add to the collection?

·
F'n A
2,311 Posts
Got torx sockets ?

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an extra long 13mm for the exhaust nuts on my bike.
Cool! Exactly what I'm looking for! Yeah, I have a lot of tools, but they are geared toward the gas and diesel automotive/truck realm...

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got torx sockets ?
Yup, but I don't have any of the tamper-proof Torx or long Torx bit sockets. Just your standard T-10 thru T-50...

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
don't think you'll need any tamper proof torx, but the long ones would come in handy. also the allen wrenches with the "ball" on the end are good for bikes too.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
i like a flex head 1/4 inch drive ratchet too, a tool i don't hear much about is a 1/4 3/8 stubby ratchet. i bought one 15 years ago at autozone, elcheapo no name. its a 1/4 inch on one side and a 3/8 on the other. think i payed about 5 bucks for it. it has very fine teeth on the insides. so that means you can't really torque down on it but you have a very short stroke so its easy to start nuts and bolts with heres a link to one Amazon.com: KR Tools 78019 Pro Series 1/4-Inch by 3/8-Inch Dual HD Stubby: Home Improvement

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
HD Belt adjusting guage. ($22)

1" socket and box wrench for rear axle nut.

HD spanner wrench for Softail shock adjustment. ($12)

oil filter wrench/socket.

HD also sells a little 2-pice plug wrench. I carry one with me.

5/16" nut-driver for exhaust shields

1/4" swivel. Needed for exhaust flange bolts, exhaust shields.

12 point sockets or wrenches for brake line banjo bolts. (6-point won't work)

Allen wrench selection, both SEa andf Metric. Ball-ends are good too.

HG Ratcheting rocker box wllen wrench. ($24.99)

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,804 Posts
One if not more than one lift. The roll around "1500 lb" hydraulic one that you can get a lot of places,

including Sears and Northern, for $50-75 extra the aluminum version would be LOTS easier to live with.

The home made one made with a piece of pipe and a piece of 4x8 would be pretty handy too.

·
HERD #00021
2,411 Posts

·
HERD #00021
2,411 Posts
they have 3 of those at the indie shop near my house...ive seen these up close...nice unit if you have the room for one....wish i did

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Steve I have had to make some of my tools. You will figure that out as you go. Sounds like you have a good start.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Man I must of pissed you off:laugh....Snuggies are GAY!! along w/ fringe:nod
you know i'n fockin' with you, but that was some funny chit on the herd video.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
you know i'n fockin' with you, but that was some funny chit on the herd video.
I sent that pic as a joke...think it's haunting me..I can't see the video on any of my computers for some reason? won't load......

I know your just messing:nod:laugh It's all good....Was it just a pic on vid ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts