Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was riding my 09' nightster and I have drag pipes that come together off the headers and angle out underneath my leg. I was riding with my feet stretched out over the pegs so it put my leg a little bit lower. I came to a passing zone and dropped a gear to pass a car and was on it hard. Shifted to 4th and continued cruising. I was thinking " damn its hot out today you can really feel the heat off the motor," then I looked down to realize my pant leg was on fire lol. I payed attention later and it blows 4-6" flames every shift if I'm on it. I just got the bike and there wasn't a tuner put on for the pipes. I've been saving pennies to get one but I don't want to damage the bike in the mean time. I was just curious if anyone elses EFI bikes shoot flames or not?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Are they the Twisted Chopper pipes? Those things are super short....and LOUD! It wouldn't suprise me that they are kicking out some flame.

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
Mine only did when my timing was off but it also ran like crap. It could be running rich and a good tune could reduce that and also keep the cylinders cooler. But yeah, if they are short enough to torch your pants then it might be something you have to deal with.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
With pipes like that, I'm suprised you don't get pulled over for noise every day. Those arn't pipes, they are flame deflectors. I like loud, but... How's your hearing? In a year with them pipes you'll be so deaf, that the vision in your right eye will be blurry too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ehh, all I've got around my town is straight piped diesels, Harley's, and v-8s. Cops dont care about loud pipes where I live. We don't even have emissions testing. I've been doin motocross for years before the AMA 116DB limit which is close to a jet plane taking off. None of it has effected my hearing too much. Most of my hearing damage comes from working construction, and my ex girlfriend lol. my bike doesn't seem to be any louder than my previous motocross bikes. Helmets seem to cut a fair amount of the noise. I have considered wearing some hearing protection when riding but my ears never hurt or ring after riding. Rifles and pistols seem much much worse to me.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
That's funny that Pittsburgh doesn't have emissions testing. Probobly have to take the tester to Liberty to calibrate it to zero...
Ever since I blew my brains out as youth in front of speaker towers at ACzDC, Ozzy and Who concerts, motocrossing, flight line electrician on a NAS's and private contractor for F14's... I wear ear plugs when I ride to save what little bit of hearing I have left.
You may be running a little rich and a programer may help tune your bike in better and lower the flame throwing affect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's funny that Pittsburgh doesn't have emissions testing. Probobly have to take the tester to Liberty to calibrate it to zero...
Ever since I blew my brains out as youth in front of speaker towers at ACzDC, Ozzy and Who concerts, motocrossing, flight line electrician on a NAS's and private contractor for F14's... I wear ear plugs when I ride to save what little bit of hearing I have left.
You may be running a little rich and a programer may help tune your bike in better and lower the flame throwing affect.
Pittsburgh has testing but that's not where I live its just the closest city. I'm from fayette county or Fayettenam as we call it around here. I do use hearing protection at work when its necessary but when it comes to my bike and music I like to enjoy it to its fullest, for now while I'm young and dumb atleast. Thunder in the valleys this weekend maybe I can get my hands on a cheap tuner.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I'm willing to bet that 1991 in your screen name is the year you were born so you are 22 or so.

Protect your hearing. Between shooting all my life and an ear infection about 10 years ago my hearing has gone to hell and I have a ringing in my left ear I can hear over the sound of 50 bikes starting up.

Wind going past your ear at highway speed does as much damage as a jet engine.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Do you hear a ringing every now and then? Especially when it is quiet? If so.....I got some news for you bud, your hearing is already damaged. Wear earplugs or earbuds with music while riding. If not you will be wishing you had.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm thinking it's not good for your bike to run those pipes without a tuner.

I'm thinking it's not good for your ears to run those pipes without ear plugs.

Wait till you start to suffer the effects of tinnitus, almost impossible to sleep.

But hey your young, you probably got another 5-6 years before that sets in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My bike is carbureted and already stage 1. I'm sure it won't make much a difference switching to these pipes and if it is a little lean I will go up a size on my jets. I work heavy construction for a living if anything will damage my hearing its that. The wind is louder than a sportster anyway

1 - 20 of 23 Posts