Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into purchasing a 12V Power Port form Harley that mounts onto the handlebars. This particular one, according to Harley's fitment chart, is made for my Sportster (2014 Superlow 1200T). The problem is according to the instruction sheet my 2014 Sportster is supposed to have an accessory connector behind the left side battery cover that this power port plugs into. I've look a few times now and do not see this accessory connector. I even went to the dealership and spoke to one of Harley's service guys and he knew nothing about it. He didn't even offer to walk onto the showroom floor and actually look at a bike to see if he could locate it. I just left and figured I'd ask on this forum, where all the Harley knowledge really resides. The only open connection I have is the one that goes to the bikes ECM, where I connect my FP3. If anyone has knowledge of what Harley is talking about please let me know.
Thanks.

Here is the link to the instructions....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/service/isheets/-J05875.PDF

And here is the link to the power port...

Handlebar Mount Auxiliary Power Port | New Arrivals | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You could use this type and hook it into the battery tender plug. Problem there is there is no fuse on the tender it connects right to the battery and could result in fire. They sell just connectors and if you can fin the right one you can make your own harness and connect it to the main fuse with a ground. New Female Power Port Battery Tender GPS Cell Phone iPod iPad Droid Harley BMW | eBay PS Take a peek under the seat it might be there. Here is a wiring harness from a 2014 super low on ebay maybe it can help you locate what your looking for 2014 Harley Davidson Sportster Superlow XL1200T Engine Wiring Harness 69200077 | eBay Also here is some info for you too http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/923844-2014-ultra-limited-accessory-plug.html 2014 Ultra Limited Accessory Plug Read the last post

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not sure about your specific application, but there are lots of option out there that you can get for less than the $90 that Harley wants for the one you posted a link to.

There are several power points on the market that will mount on your handle bars, there are still others that will tap into the battery tender plug. Your best bet might be trying to find one that is a combination of the two.

I got this one on Amazon for about $8. Here is a link for a similar set up that mounts on the handle bars for about $30

Good luck

Exco

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about your specific application, but there are lots of option out there that you can get for less than the $90 that Harley wants for the one you posted a link to.

There are several power points on the market that will mount on your handle bars, there are still others that will tap into the battery tender plug. Your best bet might be trying to find one that is a combination of the two.

I got this one on Amazon for about $8. Here is a link for a similar set up that mounts on the handle bars for about $30

Good luck

Exco
I actually did take your advice, Excoastie, and bought this on Amazon. I zip tied it to the bike. I'm very fussy about the way things look and are done on my bike, like I'm sure so many others are, but I think I can live with this setup. It doesn't look bad and it makes the power port very accessible when plugging in my heated gear since it's so close to my seat. Thanks for the advice. I'd still like to know where that accessory connection is. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i got one off fleabay- intend to use it inside my swingarm bag-my buddy saw it and got one for his bike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '14 Sportster 72' and I found mine right in front next to the seat mount. it wasnt tucked into the battery cover. you can also connect your battery tender to it. its 12vdc always hot....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I got mine from Kuryakin.
I removed the cigarette lighter plug and use the USB adapter for my camera and GPS.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The power port is located in the battery box location. Look for a grey connector that's hanging loose, not connected to anything.. The connector has a dummy plug that needs to be removed prior to use. Also that power port is hot all the time, hot when the ignition switch is off.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The power port is located in the battery box location. Look for a grey connector that's hanging loose, not connected to anything.. The connector has a dummy plug that needs to be removed prior to use. Also that power port is hot all the time, hot when the ignition switch is off.
The grey connector you're referring to is what I plug my FP3 into. That connects to the ECM.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The grey accessory power plug connects at the fuse block not the ECM, just saying.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
No. The plug I'm referring to is a single terminal hot plug.
The one in your pic looks to be for the security siren.
Also the ECM data link connector looks like that connector too, especially if it had a rubber plug in it.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also the ECM data link connector looks like that connector too, especially if it had a rubber plug in it.
Yes that is the ECM data Link. I have my Fuel Module plugged into it, but for some reason I cannot find the plug you are talking about. I'm going out now to look for a 4th time. Thank you for the info

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey SCHMIDTY is this the plug you're talking about? I found this tucked under my seat, not behind the batter cover like the Harley website said it should be on my Sportster. Do you know if this is the accessory connector?

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
That kinda looks like it. Did it have a dummy plug in it ?
Test it with a multimeter, should read battery volts if it's the plug I'm talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts