Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys

I just bought a 98 fatboy on Fleabay. I have to go to northern IL to pick it up this Saturday......the 18th. I have a buddy going with me to get it, but we will be trucking it back home.

A few weeks ago, when my sporty desided it no longer wanted to run, we had to load it in a truck, and with 4 guys, it wasn't too bad to get in the back of a chevy 4X4, but a fatboy is a little heavier of a bike and there will only be 2 of us. Guy I bought it from said there really aren't any hills or ditches anywhere around to back the truck into to make it easier. I plan on taking a 2 by 8 with me to use as a ramp, but I still see it being a PIA.

If anyone is from that area and wants to help load a bike Sat around noon, I would appreciate the help.

Then again, if weather is cooperating, I might just ride it out of the area down towards Kankeke (sp?) then find a place to load it for the next 140 miles.

Also how many straps do you think I will need? My thoughts are 2 for the front end, then 2 in the rear, that should be fine shouldn't it?

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess there is a Harley dealer just down the road from him. Don't know if they have one or not, but around here, most bike dealers have stationary loading ramps. What would be your guess, wouldn't about any dealer have a loading ramp/dock?

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Call the dealers in the area and ask them. If they don't, then you might consider renting a trailer.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
ironhead... Good suggestions above. Congrats on the bike! I know you mentioned picking something up next spring. Glad this worked out for you. Keep us posted on your adventure to bring it home.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great news, my cousin has a 6 foot by 12 landscaping trailer with a ramp type tailgate on it and rails all around it approx 14 inches off the floor. Truck loading is now not going to happen.
He gave me permission to screw into the floor of it, so I am going to take some scrap pieces of 2by4 with me and strap the bike down as tight as possible and then screw down the 2by4's along side of and in front and rear of each tire. don't want this baby falling over.

Heritage HD in Lisle, IL just down the road from him does in fact have a portable loading ramp they told me I could use, but now I don't have to worry about it, but pretty good guys to let me considering I didn't buy the bike from them.

Thanks for the replys everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts