Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install one of these and how well do they work
I gave to adjust my chain and the case has to come off so if I'm in there already I might put one in

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
I had good experience with Hayden auto tensioners. Have installed more than a few and have one on my bike as well.
FYI, the case doesn't have to be removed to only adjust the primary chain.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
I just noticed in your profile that you have a '09 touring model, that has the factory stock auto chain tensioner already. Are you planning to replace that ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No inspection cover on my bike just the derby cover
Bike is fairly noisy and was trying to narrow down where it was coming from
I might take the cover off and check any way maybe put on new shoe if need be

·
Banned
71 Posts
Look real closely at the compensator , they have a habit of failing .

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
there is a proceedure to ratchet up the chain tensioner. google it up, pretty straight forward to do. only problem is if you over tighten you run the risk of wiping out the trans bearing. i know i did it. Had my comp replaced, a SE manual chain adj and trans bearing, fluid and gaskets cost me $1100

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to the guys at dealership and they are going to test ride and let me know if it sounds normal
No charge

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
No charge ... unless it doesn't sound normal !

·
Banned
71 Posts
If you were to buy the MoCo Maintenance Manual , Parts Book & the Electrical Manual; you would be money ahead . Great things to have anytime you have a question on how or why something is the way it is . :)

:biker:

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
You know the stock H-D auto chain tensioner usually makes a racket just before they jump to the next tighter position. They are a mechanical ratchet/ramp tensioning system and the chain has to get loose enough at one point to get the thing to ratchet up tighter. That's what sucks about the stock H-D auto chain tensioner, it adjusts at the chain loose point but then the chain is to tight at the chain's tight point ! The tensioner never loosens back up, only gets tighter !

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Tried the Hayden Tensioner on my 09. It just made the chain way too to tight. Called they said 1/4" at bottom of the shoe was acceptable and shoe would wear in, suppose to be 3/8". Pulled cover at a 1k. chain tight still and noisy. Put the stocker back in, has barely any wear on it. Any one want a Hayden let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts