Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
To install the new check valve with hose you'll need to get all the fuel removed from the tank first. Any number of ways to do that, the simplest is to syphon it out with a hose into a fuel can.
Then I reach into the tank with an extended reach 45° angle needle nose pliers to pinch the tabs on the fuel line from the pump to the check valve line and separate the hose from the pump.
Then you can unscrew the old check valve from the tank and begin the reassembly process with the new check valve assy..
The trick is to NOT overwork this repair ! The MoCo made the in tank fuel line repair easier than the previous in tank line replacements. Now plug N play v/s previous cut and splice procedures !
Also now only 1 tank check valve, previous were 2 tank check valves depending on the EFI system.

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
Did you remove the tank lock ring and top plate yet ? The top plate has the filter and regulator shell attached to it. This might be a good time to replace the filter and regulator as long as you're in there.
If you remove the top plate you'll be able to follow the check valve hose to it's connection fitting.

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
With the top plate off you'll be able to trace the check valve hose to it's connection point.
You need to apply downward pressure on that lock ring to release it from the top plate, special H-D tool but it can be done sans the tool.

Reactions: JLR

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
They were saying use a blunt tip and a hammer and go counter clockwise but can I do it by hand putting downward pressure and just turning? I will try today if I get time
I use a hard wood block and medium ball peen hammer for the lock ring. That ring is cammed so I hit the block with a downward motion. Protect the tank paint before going at that lock ring IMO.

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
OK got top plate off I THINK that fuel line plugs into the pressure regulator...the largest of the 2 valves...no need for needle nosed pliers I can reach that plug in easily. IS THAT WHAT YOU FOUND ON YOUR REPLACEMENT? I'll take bad fuel valve off after partially opening and draining rest of gas from the very bottom (if any)
NOW...that fuel line runs UNDER a yellow wire then goes to the check valve...did you notice that with yours? Does it matter whether the new line runs under that wire or no? With your answers to these last questions I can finish the job, much appreciated.
Sorry but I don't remember that yellow wire. I would route things the same as you find them to avoid mistakes.
I use the needle nose pliers because pinching the lock tabs is hard for me, arthritis !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts